Bonsai forum

Help new bonsai

• 78526eu
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help new bonsai was created by 78526eu

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10399
I'm really excited for caring for this bonsai,I think it's a juniper. It's about 18" wide and about10" tall pot is about 9"" w7" d and 4" tall. I've had 2 smaller bonsais in last 4 yrs but been unsuccessful. But now I'm really interested. The lady who sold it to me told me:
Water 2xs a week and spread food every 6 months, repot every 3 yrs. my questions are ; what kind of water drinking or tap? I have it inside about 77 degrees no light? By the way I live in south texas, thank you.
by 78526eu

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doddsy
  • Thanks received: 16

Replied by doddsy on topic Help new bonsai

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10400
Hi there, from the pic it is a juniper, this tree needs to be outside or you will be on to your 3rd unsuccessful bonsai. Water it when it starts to dry out, this means checking it daily. Feeding every 6 months is ok for slow release fertilizer, check the packaging. Water, rain water is the safest option, but tap water is usually ok depending on the chlorine levels for your area. Hope this helps. Good luck.
by doddsy
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78526eu

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Help new bonsai

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10401
Yes you have a Juniper which will not be alive for long if you keep it inside. It needs some work, but quite nice.
What country are you in? It does help.
Add fertiliser every week or two, depending on the season, using one with some nitrogen in spring summer then change to very low nitrogen in early autumn. then stop in winter.
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: 78526eu

• 78526eu
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by 78526eu on topic Help new bonsai

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10404
I see, thank you both. Well I live in US and south Texas which is very hot and humid year around is that unhealthy for my tree? If I keep in shaded area but it's hot and humid I might have to water daily?
by 78526eu

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Help new bonsai

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10405
Junipers like sunshine, You need to check every day to see if water is needed, preferably early morning. If it is hot then at least once a day will be necessary, possibly twice or more, depending on the size of the pot etc.
by m5eaygeoff

• Larry

Replied by Larry on topic Help new bonsai

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #10407
Junipers need to be outside all year round unless it gets in the 20s (F) Typically any tap water will do, and water when the soil starts to get dry. Never let it dry out completely. You can fertilze with a balanced fertilizer like miracle grow twice a month from March till November. Nice little tree, good luck with it.
by Larry