Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11010

• ravara
  • ravara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi all,

We're thinking of changing our digital health company's name to "Bonsai Health" to allude to the fact that we're helping "shape health." Before doing so, we want to make sure that we're being very culturally sensitive and would not offend anyone who takes part in the practice.

Would such a name be offensive or viewed as a sort of cultural misappropriation because we don't do anything related to the actual bonsai practice? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11011

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
as a company name i think it would be quite good in a way (in my opinion), but i do practice the art of bonsai and i am not offended by the name. overall, i do not think it is offensive but there could be better names business wise.

jaimin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ravara

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11012

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 33
offensive? no

confusing? enormously

you must know that a lot of Bonsai Enthousiasts get their info from the world wide webby.. and i think "Bonsai Health" would be the first thing anyone who buys their first bonsai and panics would type in google..

for your own business.. do you think you future clients will find you, searching google for bonsai health?

you have to look at this from a marketing side

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11014

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi all,

We're thinking of changing our digital health company's name to "Bonsai Health" to allude to the fact that we're helping "shape health."

It doesn't make sense. Unless when you want to get a lot of messages from people with 'Help, the tree I bought in the shopping mall 2 weeks ago is dying'. Bonsai means tree in a pot. 'tree in a pot health'... nah.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11016

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
unless their dying tree gives them so much stress that they need some health advice?

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11026

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Cronic said: "unless their dying tree gives them so much stress that they need some health advice?"

what i say: "LOL!"

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11030

• Cronic
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Cronic said: "unless their dying tree gives them so much stress that they need some health advice?"

what i say: "LOL!"

that's why a discussion forum is also called bulletin board, not bulletin bored ;)

if not to also have some light fun and puns thrown around from time to time, people tend to get too uptight and start using harsh words and people with good intentions get banned or asked to leave.. :silly:

Is it offensive to use "bonsai" in a company name? 9 years 10 months ago #11139

• Wisco Bonsai
  • Thanks received: 0
First off I want to say that I'm really new to learning about bonsai and everything that it entails.

With that said I will add I'm a Marketing grad. I think that everyone here that mentioned that the name would be confusing if you were to add the Bonsai to your business/company name are right. I think I understand your point and it's creative and probably isn't taken, it however probably isn't a smart idea regarding what others mentioned about searching your company via Google.

In my opinion I would have a name say something about who you are as a company, what you do, perhaps a unique characteristic, and something that could stand the test of time. Also if you ever think about selling you want a name that someone would buy. If I'm a business owner and I am looking for possibly buying your business the might interest me or make me uninterested.

Hope that helps. :)

• Page: