Bonsai forum

Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

• bonsaibible
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide was created by bonsaibible

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11043
Hey everyone,

We are new here at the Bonsai Empire Forums and we need your help.

Yes, you.

Firstly let me explain some background information.

Me and my colleagues want to create an epic guide about the fine art of growing a bonsai. But we don't want it to be just any "grow a bonsai" guide, there is already tonnes of great info and guides out there about that.

No. We want to create something new. Something awesome. But most of all, something useful. Something that bonsai enthusiasts can look at and say "wow".

And that's were your help comes in. We want to know what the major problems you guys are having while growing your bonsai's. Preferably problems that you couldn't find much information about or found it confusing.

Simple as that.

This is so we can find out specifically what you guys want. And then we will fulfil those needs to produce something that you'll love.

It only takes a minute to write a comment, so why don't you help us out?

Any and all info is welcome.

Have a nice day.

The Bonsai Bible team.
by bonsaibible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11044

bonsaibible wrote:
Yes, you.

'Yes, you'. That's where I almost stopped reading. But I continued. And it DOES sound like a Tell Sell add.

And that's were your help comes in. We want to know what the major problems you guys are having while growing your bonsai's.

We do the work and you get the money? Nah, thanks.

The biggest problem is commerce - yes, you!
People buying things that are sold as bonsai, but that are mutilated ficuses, sticks in pots, mallsai of which each one looks almost exactly as the next one, and even 'bonsai seed' that will never reach any artistic level. The forums (including this one) are full of it.

This was my free tip. You're welcome.
Last Edit:9 years 10 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11045
the only thing i can say is: LOL!
AUK, your comment is jokes.

jaimin
by bob

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11048
I just chose to ignore it rather than rant
by m5eaygeoff

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11049

m5eaygeoff wrote: I just chose to ignore it rather than rant

But you replied, so you did not ignore.
by Auk

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11051
yeah but I did not answer!
by m5eaygeoff

• bonsaibible
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by bonsaibible on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11052
Let me clear some of this up as I may have started in the wrong direction.

Firstly, my name is Luca Samson. My partner’s (and friends) name is Harrison Tallis. Together we make up the Bonsai Bible Team.

We’re not very well known as we have both been perusing our bonsai passions as a simple hobby at home. Harry and I met around 3 years ago and since then we have been growing bonsai’s together, swapping tips and useful information we found on the web.

We are not seeking to write a book. We are not looking to steal information. Anything we write will be put up for free with proper accreditations to whoever contributed.

We want to create a unique, awesome post (NOT A BOOK) that you guys will enjoy. Harrison and I have brainstormed some topics but then we thought what better way to come up with ideas than actually ask the people we’re trying to help. So what would you guys like to learn or read about bonsai related? Are there area’s that you’ve found where there isn’t much information?

We have posted a similar request on other forums as we want to try to gather as much information as possible.

I am happy to answer all questions that people may have about this.

So please, don’t think of us as some money hungry snakes. We just need your help.

The Bonsai Bible Team
by bonsaibible

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11054

bonsaibible wrote: Let me clear some of this up as I may have started in the wrong direction.

You did. You did not introduce yourself, and the Tell Sell tone of your message did not help much...

Firstly, my name is Luca Samson. My partner’s (and friends) name is Harrison Tallis. Together we make up the Bonsai Bible Team.

Is that related to this Bonsai Bible?
If so, I'm not impressed...

We want to create a unique, awesome post (NOT A BOOK) that you guys will enjoy. Harrison and I have brainstormed some topics but then we thought what better way to come up with ideas than actually ask the people we’re trying to help. So what would you guys like to learn or read about bonsai related? Are there area’s that you’ve found where there isn’t much information?

Thanks for this explanation - this does change things.

Note that what you are trying to do sounds like a very ambitious - and an enormous - task.
My first impression is that you have too little experience with bonsai to create such a 'Bible' (being an atheist, I don't like the term Bible much either, to be honest...).

I can give you my ideas though. I would look for something like a wikipedia style encyclopedia, with different topics, like history, techniques, styling, species, and what I am looking for most is very detailed descriptions of and guidelines (repotting, soil requirements, location/light/water/temperature requirements, pruning etc..) for every different kind of tree that is being used for bonsai. That will be the hardest part. The guidelines on many bonsai-sites are often quite generic and sometimes even wrong for a specific species. For example, a generic guideline for pines will not work for me, as there are differences between for example a black pine and a white pine. Following up generic instructions for 'pines' could damage or even kill a 'white pine'.

What's going to make this even harder is that there are different opinions about what's best for each tree... without a lot of experience I think it's going to be quit hard to give the correct recommendations.
Last Edit:9 years 10 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Auk.

• Cronic
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thanks received: 33

Replied by Cronic on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11056
i agree with Auk

i also think you guys highly underestimate what you are trying to do..
not only is there a difference between all the species of trees used for bonsai (and that's hundreds)
often there is a difference between sub species (pines, maples, junipers have different varieties that need a different aproach)
you must also consider the different approaches that come with different climates..

putting togetter such a complete databank (which i would personally do in a wiki style of enceclopedia) is going to take you years and years..

+ also the fact that there are also always different ways to approach certain subjects.. one pro might swear to pinch junipers, another one might tell you to use scissors. etc..
one may tell you to use akadama, another one might tell you it's better to use other types of soil..

the shear fact that no one has ever attempted to put togetter such a huge project is that bonsai is personal on a lot of fronts.. Auk lives in the same country as me if i'm not mistaken, but his approach on water, fertelising and soil is completely different than mine, while in our personal experience, we do what is best for our trees under the circumstances they find thelmselves in, in our proper gardens..

fact is: Bonsai is not an exact science which you can easily write down in a blog to be followed by everyone.. it's more like a language which we all speak but everyone has his own dialect..
by Cronic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic Help me Help you - The Best Bonsai Guide

Posted 9 years 10 months ago #11059

Cronic wrote: Fact is: Bonsai is not an exact science which you can easily write down in a blog to be followed by everyone.. it's more like a language which we all speak but everyone has his own dialect..

You can say it louder, but not clearer. That line summarizes it all...
by alainleon1983
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cronic