Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Juniper in Sub-Tropics 9 years 8 months ago #11842

• TyMeezie
  • TyMeezie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
uneducated newbie here, I have what looks to be a semi-cascade Juniper tree, most likely a cutling so this may be all for nothing anyway. I understand they go dormant in the winter. I live in Louisiana, our winter is almost non-existent with temps getting below freezing for a handful of days spread out from December-February. will that be sufficient enough to keep the tree happy? is there anything I can do to help it out during dormancy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Juniper in Sub-Tropics 9 years 8 months ago #11843

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
They don't really go dormant, our winters are generally not that cold, last winter we had very few frosts. I think as long as you keep it outside in sun then it will be fine.
I would not worry about it, Just don't overwater in winter.

Juniper in Sub-Tropics 9 years 8 months ago #11899

• JMoney
  • Thanks received: 10
I live in Las Vegas and the growing season is 9 months here. A juniper needs about 60 days of cold weather the go dormant. Although our days in winter can be 55 to 65 at night it gets below 45. So below 45 is what you need.

Juniper in Sub-Tropics 9 years 8 months ago #11904

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
In the UK there is no way we get two months below 10. We get frosts but nowhere near that many days that low. Junipers do fine though, as do thet rest.

Juniper in Sub-Tropics 9 years 8 months ago #11905

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
As we are here on an international forum, please keep in mind that not all use the same way of measuring temperature. So when you say "Temps below 10", note down whether you refer to F or C.

As for growing juniperus.. They need a colder period, ideally dropping to 10-15C or lower for a number of weeks. Otherwise they will start to sulk, loose vigor and may eventually die.

J

• Page: