Bonsai forum

1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts..

• JayBreak
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts.. was created by JayBreak

Posted 8 years 10 months ago #16349
HELLO Fellow BE users.

Total Bonsai apprentice here (more like Padawan). Recently received this Juniper PN as a gift. I'm looking for any and all critisims out there to better help preserve and maintain a healthy bonsai.

I reside in SUNNY South Florida of the USA

Yearly climate;
Winter: hot
Spring: Hot and a little dry
Summer: HOT AND semi-Humid

-Currently keeping bonsai in a bird bath, 1/4 filled with water and elevated just OUT of the water. Pot has holes. Some branch ends very green and nimble.
-Watering when top soil feels slight dry and underside is damp. Using a dowel rod for gauge.
-Direct Sunlight from around 1000-1400 hrs.
-Light shading occurring around 1600
-Evenings remain mildly humid.
-Misting 'foliage' at least 1xDaily

-Pests. I've notice 2 grey, round spiders. Re-homed first and DAYS later noticed the 2nd.

Can anyone estimate and age for this bonsai?
Also, any rule of thumb for age dating?

I'd like to hear what you guys think of my first Bonsai. Honestly my FIRST PLANT.

THANKS FOR checking me out.
"May The Force Be With You"
by JayBreak

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BonsaiLearner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 101

Replied by BonsaiLearner on topic 1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts..

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16351
Hi there!
Also a learner but I have been doing quite a bit of research.

you may want to look up juniper bonsai on this site for specific care requirements, but you sound like you have a strict regime - I would just advise that you make sure you don't slack on it (keeping bonsai can be hard)

I have no idea about pests but maybe these two 'spiders' are just house spiders (I would check online though)

As for age, I would say only 2-3 years MAX as I guess it is store bought (no offence - my first was too). If it was grown by your friend/relative then it could be anywhere from 5-10 years MAX

honestly, I think your tree has great potential (as do most) but it needs more work before it will properly take shape.
by BonsaiLearner

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic 1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts..

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16352

JayBreak wrote: Total Bonsai apprentice here (more like Padawan). Recently received this Juniper PN as a gift. I'm looking for any and all critisims out there to better help preserve and maintain a healthy bonsai.

You asked for criticism... so here we go (again...):
This is a yount juniper in a pot. Often it is said that bonsai means 'tree in pot', so if it is a tree in a pot, it's bonsai. I disagree. Bonsai is an artform where a tree is shaped and formed to resemble an impressive, real tree in nature.

Your plant has hardly been shaped, doesn't resemble a tree and cannot be called a bonsai.

-Currently keeping bonsai in a bird bath, 1/4 filled with water and elevated just OUT of the water. Pot has holes.
-Misting 'foliage' at least 1xDaily

I don't see why it is in a bird bath and why you mist it. I won't comment on that too much hough, as the plant clearly looks quite healthy. How long have you had it? Is the plant completely in the soil that's visible on the photo, or is that just a top layer?

-Pests. I've notice 2 grey, round spiders. Re-homed first and DAYS later noticed the 2nd.

Don't worry about spiders, they won't harm the plant.

Can anyone estimate and age for this bonsai?

7 - 9 years. That's a guess.

Also, any rule of thumb for age dating?

Cut the trunk and count the rings... or compare with pictures you find of junipers of different ages using Google.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of my first Bonsai. Honestly my FIRST PLANT.

As said, it looks like a young juniper, not like a bonsai. It does have potential (as any young, healthy juniper does), but it will need work.

Don't start cutting and wiring though, first learn about styles, how to shape a tree, branch placement and ramification, development.... etc.
by Auk

• JayBreak
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by JayBreak on topic 1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts..

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16367
Thanks for the advice guys.

It's been kept in the bird bath for looks, but mainly to ensure humidity around it during the day. UV Sunlight here in South FL can stay MAXED out throughout most of the day.

Also, any recommendations as far as trimming/pruning go?
by JayBreak

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic 1st Timer. Criticisms wanted, share any thoughts..

Posted 8 years 9 months ago #16368

JayBreak wrote: Thanks for the advice guys.

It's been kept in the bird bath for looks, but mainly to ensure humidity around it during the day. UV Sunlight here in South FL can stay MAXED out throughout most of the day.

The bird bath will not have an effect on the humidity around the tree.

Also, any recommendations as far as trimming/pruning go?

Yes: wait. First learn to keep the tree alive and happy.
by Auk