Growth

• BonsaiMackem
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1

Growth was created by BonsaiMackem

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17064
Newbies will find a lot of posts suggesting ground growth for x years to thicken the trunk on threads they start about what do do with a new Maple, Juniper, etc. Whilst that is excellent advice and Bonsai is all about patience, I think what that does is promote the thinking that they should ever only think about achieving a large size Bonsai and that smaller sizes don't really exist any more. If you buy a tree which is say 50 centimeters tall then that isn't something that can ever be considered a Bonsai. You can't pot that and display it yet.

Is there any trees that when you buy as a young specimen you can work on it straight away and have a good tree?

This link shows that you can do something now. That is what I want to achieve. I don't really consider myself experienced enough to take on a long term project.

www.bonsaiempire.com/blog/bonsai-starterkit
Last Edit:8 years 7 months ago by BonsaiMackem
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by BonsaiMackem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 856

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Growth

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17066
It's not about height it is the TRUNK that is needed first, then branches are grown.
by m5eaygeoff

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Growth

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17068

BonsaiMackem wrote: If you buy a tree which is say 50 centimeters tall then that isn't something that can ever be considered a Bonsai. You can't pot that and display it yet.

Bloody nonsense. You have clearly no idea what you are talking about.

You will need to balance the thickness of the trunk to the height of the final image you achieve. Typically, the height of good bonsai is 6 to 12 times diameter of the trunk just about the roots, with exception for styles such as bunjin and cascades. A god taper in the trunk and branches combined with high level ramification will create a convincing image, independent of size.

If you are convinced you are right, and I am wrong, google Morten Albek Shohin Bonsai.
by leatherback

• BonsaiMackem
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1

Replied by BonsaiMackem on topic Growth

Posted 8 years 7 months ago #17070
No need to get personal and certainly no need to be rude.

Only asked because I wanted to understand what people thought of the tree in both links if time is so important.
by BonsaiMackem