Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20237

• PandarenBonsai
  • PandarenBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi guys

I live in UK and after watching the starter movie by Bonsai Empire I decided to get the exact species of bonsai they used which was Chamaecyparis Pisifera however, it was nowhere to be found in my area. So I found a plant looking relatively similar to it which was Cupressus Marcocarpa . Is this good for an indoor bonsai ? Has got a thick or thin trunk? I am a beginner at bonsai. I've attached the picture of the exact Cupressus Macrocarpa. Also can I apply what they Bonsai Empire did in the starter movie to Cupressus macrocarpa. :huh:

Thank you in advance! :lol:

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20239

• Dominion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 28
this is not good for indoor bonsai..

i think the species itself isn't even suited for bonsai in general..

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20241

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
Pandaranbonsai... Please don't get discouraged by the directness of this forum. I would suggest buying some books, take a class on Bonsai that is taught by an experienced artist.
In my opinion, the name Bonsai applies to trees that have earned it.
Look up good starter trees, get some experience (this may include killing a tree or two) then absorb others opinions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PandarenBonsai

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20242

• PandarenBonsai
  • PandarenBonsai's Avatar Topic Author
Thank you simplysaid

Can you recommend any starter trees that look good. I'm looking for indoor and for it to be nursery stock which I can style into a Bonsai.

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20243

• simplysaid
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 54
this site has some great advice on everything Bonsai. Here's the page for their suggestions for indoor Bonsai.
www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/indoor-bonsai

But it depends on what you like. Every artist/hobbyist has a preference to which style, and species they prefer more than others.
The only tree that I've kept inside is my 12 year old ficus that I've only recently (the past month) attempted to train for Bonsai. I like the outdoor trees. There's more variety. Trees are meant to be outside (IMHO).
I have about 7 books that I'm currently reading. All on Bonsai, and between them and hands on experience like a beginner class, I've learned a lot.

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20245

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
The species you mention are hardy plants and will die indoors. They do not make an easy bonsai, certainly not for a beginner.

Cupressus macrocarpa? 8 years 2 weeks ago #20248

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

i think the species itself isn't even suited for bonsai in general..

BonsaiBoy disagrees! For just USD 45,95 they sell this amazing tree:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

But on a more serious note:
This species can be used for bonsai and it can be grown indoors (the fact that it's possible does not mean I recommend it).

"Cupressus macrocarpa: The Monterey Cypress is one of the few evergreen conifers that can be grown indoors. Trunk thickness is difficult to develop, but the fine juniper-like foliage suits even small bonsai"

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_bonsai
The following user(s) said Thank You: PandarenBonsai

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Cupressus macrocarpa? 4 years 10 months ago #49641

• Yorkshire Mike
Hi, I'm based in West Yorkshire, near Queensbury (highest market town in England!) so naturally it is very windy and averagely cold. I see many of these, fully grown in gardens all around. I have just bought myself one from a local nursery and i'm going to do the same, attempt bonsai! I'm also a newcomer!

Just for your information, Peter Chan at Heron's Bonsai (located between Brighton and London) has some great starting videos on his youtube channel. His book 'The Bonsai Bible' doesn't have this particular tree in it. But I did find the Squamata Juniper in his book, and one at the nursery. So I'm going to try bonsai with them both and leave them outside (it's currently late May) who knows what I will do in the winter. I read that dark garages, where it's cold but not as damp would be suitable. But I'll probably leave it outside. Junipers are sooo soo sooooooooo common around my bit of northern england.

Also, I'm going to try and find a classic English Oak tree. What better would grow more naturally in our climate!

• Page: