Bonsai forum

New 7 year old Juniper

• Patsquatch
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

New 7 year old Juniper was created by Patsquatch

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25944
Good morning all! I have kept bonsai in the past and loved it. Learning experience in multiple ways. I currently have just one juniper tree that is seven years old and nicely styled. I was wondering about 2 things. Watering and pruning. The gentleman I got it from said to keep soil moist and submerge the pot half way up for a couple hours once a week. I have read that could be bad so I'm looking for clarification. Secondly, I assume it's too late in the season to do any large pruning work with it being mid September? Thanks for the help, I'll try posting a picture and I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Oh I also have a few jade plants, but that's another topic!
by Patsquatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic New 7 year old Juniper

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25946

Patsquatch wrote: The gentleman I got it from said to keep soil moist and submerge the pot half way up for a couple hours once a week. I have read that could be bad so I'm looking for clarification.

With such an advice I'd say the gentleman doesn't know much about bonsai.
This is currently discussed on this forum on an almost daily basis. Browse through recent topics or use the search function.
Last Edit:7 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Auk.

• Patsquatch
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Patsquatch on topic New 7 year old Juniper

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25949
He does indeed know what he is talking about, however English is not his first language and there was a slight language barrier so I'm sure it was my issue. I've read a bunch on the topic of watering and I get it. Now the key is putting it to practical use.
Am I right to assume it's too late to do any major pruning or shaping? Lastly, it's a smaller tree, should I leave it on my porch over winter or just in an unheated room? Thanks for the help. I'll post a picture as soon I get home from work.
Last Edit:7 years 7 months ago by Patsquatch
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Patsquatch.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25950

Patsquatch wrote: He does indeed know what he is talking about, however English is not his first language and there was a slight language barrier so I'm sure it was my issue.

If he advises to submerge it once a week and leave it like that for hours he does not know what he is talking about.

Am I right to assume it's too late to do any major pruning or shaping?

Yes, you are right.

However, knowing where you got the plant, and looking at the age, I am pretty sure I know what your plant looks like.
So, you'll probably get the same advice about training it. Again, search the forum. It is one of the most frequently asked - and replied to - questions.

adamaskwhy.com/2014/01/01/so-youve-recen...purchased-a-mallsai/
Last Edit:7 years 7 months ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Auk.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic New 7 year old Juniper

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25951
Junipers need to be on the dry side. Submerging in water will make it too wet, typically.

Major styling of junipers is done in late winter, early spring. You could trim branches now, but i would wait till after the peak of winter.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patsquatch

• Patsquatch
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Patsquatch on topic New 7 year old Juniper

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25968
Any idea where the idea to submerge the plants for a couple hours came from? Since everything I read says that its a bad idea? Just curious how it became such a well known bad habit.
by Patsquatch

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 7 months ago #25983

Patsquatch wrote: Any idea where the idea to submerge the plants for a couple hours came from? Since everything I read says that its a bad idea? Just curious how it became such a well known bad habit.

I've never heard anyone recommend it so I'm not sure why it is a 'well known habit', except among people that do not sell bonsai.
The reason they advise it probably has to do with the soil type, that become like a brick once it gets too dry, preventing it from absorbing water.
Submerging it in that case is trying to fix an emergency situation. Usually, owners of such trees end up on forums with topics titled 'help, my plant is dropping all its leaves / is sick / is dying'.
by Auk