Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Beginner looking for some advice/help 6 years 8 months ago #34440

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

The word "bonsai" literally only means "plant in tray." Don't listen to these guys

I agree with that. Do not listen to these guys. Look at their trees. Then look at Sleuth's trees. You'll probably notice a difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 6 years 8 months ago #34465

• Sleuth
  • Thanks received: 2

Why are you digging up old threads?

In any case. There is more to bonsai than jusst a plant in a pot. If you do not know any better, read up and get some basic understanding before starting this argument. This forum has loads of discussions on it.

You discredit, under mind and try to sway others opinions of me. Give no advice except basically "do research." You don't say anything different from my opinion other than "There is more to bonsai than jusst a plant in a pot." and a website stating knowledge on the reduction of leaf size that stated exactly what I had said. Then you report me for trolling. I have brought factual data, all easily verified with google and quoted published works by world renown sculptors. I believe I have proven that I have done research and plenty of reading. A middle aged gay half Italian, half Jewish botanist that got his degree from Florida State introduced and mentored me in the art for three years, (his collection is insane, plus and entire room for succulents and cacti, lives on 5 acres with old growth Douglas Fir forestry in his backyard.) I am capable of multi-faceted thinking and am capable of deriving my own personal original idea. I don't care who you are, if a 6 year old comes up to you with a dandelion in a bottle cap and calls it a bonsai, who are you to tell him its not? Why can I not call a sapling or personally collected specimen that I have meticulously cared for, pruned keeping in mind a vision that wont happen for years to come and in a traditional styled container a bonsai? Because, you, who have supported nothing and proven little to nine knowledge on subject matter other than showing how well you know this one website and its contents? No masterpieces or published works? Right? Shenanigans Mr. Bonsai police. I have done nothing but searched for topics that interested me and read what caught my eye. I've stated my opinions and best advice supported by evidence, but have suggested that research is key every time. I have done nothing but exactly what a forum was explicitly designed for. The gathering of mass knowledge and sharing through media. Not once have I threatened to or have reported you for anything. I really hope you took a moment and read through that carefully.

Last edit: Post by Sleuth.

Beginner looking for some advice/help 6 years 8 months ago #34471

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

I don't care who you are, if a 6 year old comes up to you with a dandelion in a bottle cap and calls it a bonsai, who are you to tell him its not?

How do you like this Koi:

How do you like this skyscraper:

And how do you like this car:

In other words: Not everything that is nice, belongs to the same category of things that is nice. Can a dandelon be a nice pant? Certainly. Is it bonsai? No, absolutely not. Which is why you cannot just call anything yoiu put in a container a bonsai. Because there is more to it then just being a plant in a container. Go look at trees. Understand the concept of bonsai instead of definitions. The emotion a tree has to inflict, the impression of age & maturity. The development of branches and ramification etc. If you do not have this basic understanding right, you spend years working towards a false image, resulting in nothing. Understanding the area that one is working is, is the basic premise to success.

Do not confuse me not wishing to spend a lot of time on someone who arrives on the forum, and just starts to dig up old threads and sending a lot of misinformation, which may confuse people starting out, willing to learn, with not knowing what I am talking about. I am here to help people learn how to make better trees, and am quite willing to have a sensible discussion on the topic. But that means be willing to listen to reason, and not quote from a single out-dated source of information and effectively on your first moment on the forum telling that what more experiences members here post is irrelevant.

Some of the information you are getting from that book is outdated, and probably a result from mis-translation (A problem seen in earlier japanese translations. One of the clearest is information on juniper care and pinching.)

you indicate that I know nothing about bonsai and only know this website. Maybe one day I will let you in on a little secret as to why I know the website well. But feel free to read some more of my articles also on my website: www.growingbonsai.net/ .

If you would have looked around the forum a little first, you might have noticed a few of my trees on this forum too. Let me help you:

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/general/7095-big-potentilla?start=10
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...ive-that-got-smaller
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...kea-ficus-for-bonsai
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/9904-shokkan-yew
www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...a-fukina-gashi-style

Cheers,

J.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Cuzza

Last edit: Post by leatherback.
  • Page: