Bonsai forum

I am new to all this and need some help

• O-Castitatis-Lilium
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

I am new to all this and need some help was created by O-Castitatis-Lilium

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30594
Hello!

I am new to all of this. I have never had a bonsai but I have always wanted one. I figure now would be as good a time as any to start, as I find myself in a bit of a pickle. I bought a Blue Moon Japanese Wisteria when we moved into this house as tenants. It is a beautiful thing and it is strong. I love it to death and I put it in the front next to the railing for the porch stairs. It has wound it's way up and all over them. Now we have to move and I am so hurt that I can't take the entire thing with me as I will be moving into an apartment. I started looking around to find any way that I could take it with me, and came across people making their wisteria into Bonsai plants.

I was elated when I heard you could do it and I want to take a few clippings with me. I know I have to take new shoots for them to have a good start, but at the same time, I don't have the first clue on how to start them as Bonsai trees. I want to take more than one because I don't want to take just one and have it die. I need to know everything I can in order to have a clipping become a Bonsai and I want to make sure it lives. I need to know EVERYTHING. Any and all help is greatly appreciated and any advice to keep it going strong and tall would be magnificent. I haven't taken any clippings yet, as it is still only March, I'm hoping to grab clippings before we have to leave. I was thinking of taking a few of the ones wrapped up in the railing and try to root them like that, but I'm not sure if I can because they aren't green. Again, any and all help and advice is GREATLY appreciated.
by O-Castitatis-Lilium

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic I am new to all this and need some help

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30595
You will not start growing a bonsai, you will start to grow a Wisteria first. For this, you do not need bonsai knowledge.
Just visit gardening forums, where you will find more and better specific information about wisteria, like here:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vine...isteria-cuttings.htm

Once it is thriving, you can start taking next steps. This will take long, and growing it into a bonsai will take many years. You have got loads of time to do research on the subject.
by Auk

• Bonsai Bender
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 70

Replied by Bonsai Bender on topic I am new to all this and need some help

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30597
Why don't you take the main trunk. Wisteria can handle hard pruning. Dig it up.
www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9288012/Wonderful-wisteria.html
by Bonsai Bender

• Samantha
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 151

Replied by Samantha on topic I am new to all this and need some help

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30599

O-Castitatis-Lilium wrote: Hello!
I want to take more than one because I don't want to take just one and have it die. ....

Yes, you will kill a few clippings, that's how we learn. Auk's right, it takes a few years, and a bunch of clippings. :silly:
by Samantha