Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

RE-POTTING 6 years 10 months ago #33225

• Lowki
  • Lowki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
;) Hi Guys,
Lowki here again, been awhile. I hope you all good and that your trees are doing great.

I have one question that i hope someone can share some insight into.
Q; When or how would one know when a plant is ready or needs to be re-potted?

Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RE-POTTING 6 years 10 months ago #33226

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
Depending on your soil composition, age and species of your tree will determine how often you need to repot. Soil made up of akadoma needs to be repoted once every 2 to 3 years as it tends to break down, other soils can wait almost 3 to 5 years. Young trees need to be repot every 2 to 3 years as they will have vigorous new growth, older trees very 3 to 5 years or so. Depending on the species like trident maples have very vigorous growth and should be repoted more often. A easy way to tell is to pull your tree out of it's pot the the hole soil mass comes out and you see swirling of the roots then it probably needs to be repoted. For most deciduous species the time for repotting is early spring right as the buds begin to swell. For conivorus species it can be done earlier. Another way to tell is when you water the tree. If the water isn't soaking thru the soil easily then it can also be a good time to repot. Once you have repoted leave your tree in a simi shady location for about 2 weeks to aid in it's recovery, also don't fertilize your tree for about 2 weeks as well.

RE-POTTING 6 years 10 months ago #33227

• Lowki
Hi Travi,
This is awesome. I humbly thank you for sharing your knowledge.
I have a 6 year old Olea Europaea(olive). It's been in the current pot for almost 2 years now. I'm from Cape Town, South Africa and we're heading into winter months, spring will be coming around in September. If I understand you correctly, that would mean I can consider re-potting just before September, mid August perhaps?

RE-POTTING 6 years 10 months ago #33229

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
Yes I would wait till spring hits because if you do it in winter time while the tree is dormant the roots could rot resulting in the loss of your tree. There are more experts on this forum that know more than I do I'm sure they will have some advice as well so try to soak in as much as you can and welcome to the Empire. There are also courses on here that could better your knowledge and some good books to check out.

RE-POTTING 6 years 10 months ago #33231

• Lowki
Aah, thanks bud.
Really appreciated. I certainly will look into acquiring some reading material as well.

• Page: