Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33248

• CindyH
  • CindyH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everybody! I know this plant isn't much to look at. That's why I'm looking for help. His name is Bob. I think he's dying :( The fall before last a big mean squirrell cam along and dog him up and buried an acorn so the past two springs he's looking grim and not much growth. Is there anything I can do to make him happy again? Should I not leave him out during the winter? Any help would be so much appreciated. :S

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33257

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hi everybody! I know this plant isn't much to look at.

It is a young juniper. It can become a bonsai, but that requires skills and many, many years of growth and training. Currently however, it is not a bonsai.

His name is Bob

Please do not treat trees as pets by giving them pet names... or by taking them indoors when it gets colder.

The plant looks green and healthy. I am not sure what you think the problem is?
When was the last time you gave Bob something to eat?
The following user(s) said Thank You: CindyH

Last edit: Post by Auk.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33268

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

When was the last time you gave Bob something to eat?

Well, tough one... Do trees eat through its leaves by converting CO2 and sunlight into sugars and releasing O2, or do trees eat through its roots by absorbing N P K and micronutrients from water and fertilizers, or both?

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33269

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Well, tough one...

You and I know how it works... just wondering if Bob gets his dinner in time.

Sorry... after seeing the loads of dead and dying trees and things that are not bonsai, while I so much would like this forum to be about bonsai, I cannot help but getting a bit cynical again.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33270

• CindyH
  • CindyH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks guys! My daughter named the plant haha! The reason I was worried is because I haven't seen much growth. I assumed Auk was referring to fertilizer. I do fertilize with Green Dream. Not sure if that is any good but it hasn't done any harm.. I leave the plant outside 365 even though it is small. I make sure the roots are protected.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33272

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Is there anything I can do to make him happy again?

My apologies for the above.

The plant looks healthy. The roots may have gotten disturbed by the incident, making the plant restore roots first. This may have slowed down growth.
Just give it time, it'lll grow again. Make sure you give it proper care - including the appropriate amount of fertilizer.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33273

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks guys! My daughter named the plant haha! The reason I was worried is because I haven't seen much growth. I assumed Auk was referring to fertilizer. I do fertilize with Green Dream. Not sure if that is any good but it hasn't done any harm.. I leave the plant outside 365 even though it is small. I make sure the roots are protected.

Seems you are doing it right. All you need now is time.

My Poor Little Bonsai :( 6 years 10 months ago #33297

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The harm the squirrel may have done, is in the past fro the tree now. It is not unhealthy. So do nt fret about what happened. Trees are like dogs; They forget the smaller things fairly quickly.Only when they are hurt over and over again and/or deeply, do they display the effects for a long time.

I think the plant has grown, but maybe you do nt realie it. Do you have pictures of it 2 years ago? Do a comparison for yourself.

In any case.. The substrate you are using is heavy and cold (Looks like small pebbles). thiis reduces the growth a bit: Cold substrate = slow rootgrowth = slow top growth. And it does not hang on to nutrients & water all that well. The latter is great, so you do not risk lots of root problems due to wet feet. But fertilizer might be an inssue. You culd try putting a very low dose of liquid fertilizer to the water when you water it. This way, it will get a little bit every time. I am thinking, maybe 1/10 the normal dose. Just to see whether that helps.

• Page: