Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33934

• Nesciioo
  • Nesciioo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I've found myself in a sticky situation. I may be moving into an apartment with no outdoor space. I absolutely do not want to loose my trees. I have two young junipers and three elms. My question is, what would I need to keep them alive for a year with no outdoor space. What lights have you all used what would you recommend, what are some issues you think I may have, or is it even possible at all. I am mostly worried about my junipers because I know indoors is usually a no....but is it possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33936

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Ask a fellow bonsaiist to keep them for you for a year. For a low umber of trees that is usually no problem. Are you a member of a club? That is the easiest route to find a temporary host.

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33937

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

What lights have you all used what would you recommend

I do not think any of the regulars on this forum uses lights - except sunlight.

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33964

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

I've found myself in a sticky situation. I may be moving into an apartment with no outdoor space. I absolutely do not want to loose my trees. I have two young junipers and three elms. My question is, what would I need to keep them alive for a year with no outdoor space. What lights have you all used what would you recommend, what are some issues you think I may have, or is it even possible at all. I am mostly worried about my junipers because I know indoors is usually a no....but is it possible?

Junipers will die indoors. Period. It is theoretically possible to keep one alive indoors, or so we think. I once read somewhere, somebody manage to keep a Juniper indoors alive for a few years. The amount of work, thought, and investment, that went into keeping that tree alive indoors was insane, and even then, after a few years, the tree started dying.

As Auk said, your only realistic option is to find a host.

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33989

• ColinW
  • Thanks received: 8
Would it be possible to have a window box? even north facing walls get enough uv, my fuchsias actually prefer not being in the full sun
I had a similar problem when my ex and I split up. I was sofa surfing for about 4 months then renting a room. I was very fortunate my daughter's friend had always shown a keen interest in my collection and she looked after them for me, without charge.
I always like to repay a kindness so I started off a rowan and a field maple for her.

Is it possible? 6 years 10 months ago #33993

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Would it be possible to have a window box? even north facing walls get enough uv, my fuchsias actually prefer not being in the full sun

Ehr.. Fuchsia and junipers are VERY different species. Junipers need direct sunlight.

• Page: