• Page:

TOPIC:

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33950

• Rob_phillips
  • Rob_phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
Hi all i was just wondering what people are doing to keep there delicate acers and deciduous trees out of this strong ish winds.
I have a greenhouse for when its really strong but i would like to know what else people are doing.
I have a few restrictions on what i can build and im doing the best i can now but im thinking of building something to help protect them a bit more

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33954

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I don't. I find acers deal with wind fine.

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33959

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
Mine dose fine but I am building a lathe cage for them as I don't get much shade in my yard

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33962

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82
I only protect my trees from wind during the winter months. When they are protected from wind and harsh cold. During spring, summer, and fall, they stay out taking all the elements.

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33973

• Rob_phillips
  • Rob_phillips's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 10
Interesting, i live at the foot of the malvern hills in the uk and we get a lot of stong gusts blowing straight down them, that swirls around my garden so i was thinking on trying some sort of wind protection to stop the wind swirling around the benches quite so much and causing the delicate leaves from drying out quicker than the roots can supply the leaves with moisture.

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33975

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Interesting, i live at the foot of the malvern hills in the uk and we get a lot of stong gusts blowing straight down them, that swirls around my garden so i was thinking on trying some sort of wind protection to stop the wind swirling around the benches quite so much and causing the delicate leaves from drying out quicker than the roots can supply the leaves with moisture.

I do think you have a point and wind protection would be good. But who am I... all my maples are not doing well, neither the 4 in the ground, nor the 4 in pots...

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33986

• Enaisio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
I've got a maple that nearly died from a gust of wind , but it was my fault , I didn't tie it to the pot and it got ripped out of it , it lost most of its leaves but it has now recovered .

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #33988

• ColinW
  • Thanks received: 8
My white spruce was out of it's pot early this week with the strong wind during the night. I don't usually wire the roots in as I've never had this happen before. Rather than put it back in with wires I have put it straight back in the pot and secured it with some temporary guy ropes (or should that be guy garden twine) once the roots have filled the pot more I will remove the twine without disturbing anything. the only plant I was concerned about the foliage was one of my fuchsia but watching the leaves move with the wind reminded me of the story of the ash tree boasting to the grass how big and strong he was, standing up to the wind unlike the puny grass allowing itself to be tossed and blown around.

Protection from the wind. 6 years 10 months ago #34010

• wmtchance
  • Thanks received: 0
I had three small trees sustain sun and wind damage on the first sunny windy days of summer here. They were two eugenia and a podocarpus. They can all be trimmed back to undamaged vegetation but I had them too exposed for what they were used to indoors. They were up on my deck railing just fine for the cloudy drizzle that we were living in for 6 weeks. The heat and wind at the same time for a day scalded the eugenia's outer leaves and took the top leaves off one side of the podocarpus. Other trees lined up there were not affected. Last year the trees were tucked down on the deck or on tables where the lattice broke the wind and sun a bit. I just didn't catch it right. Things get reorganized endlessly around here, but that was a sad sort of blunder.

• Page: