Bonsai forum

Golden Gate Ficus - Browning Leaves

• EdwardDaggerhands
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Golden Gate Ficus - Browning Leaves was created by EdwardDaggerhands

Posted 6 years 10 months ago #34035
Hello, all. I received this ficus as a gift about three or so months ago. He's been going strong for the most part, but I noticed some of the leaves were browning. He was staged just to the side of a window that gets a substantial amount of light throughout the day, so I'm wondering if this could be directly related to too much sunlight? I've also eased up on watering because I think it might have been getting overdone. Any other insight into what the cause might be? Should I prune the browning leaves off? I just moved a couple weeks ago, so his position and atmosphere has changed, but his leaves were browning well before the move. Please advise! Thanks!
by EdwardDaggerhands

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic Golden Gate Ficus - Browning Leaves

Posted 6 years 10 months ago #34043
that definitely looks like sunburn to me... has there been more browning since you moved it? I would let the tree decide, when it wants to lose the leaves...
by tubaboy

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Golden Gate Ficus - Browning Leaves

Posted 6 years 10 months ago #34044
Sunburn is often easily identified in that it is at random places on the leaves, typically only leaves on the outside of the canopy, and in the higher areas of the leaves. This looks much different.

IF it is sunny at your place, is it also warm? Are we talking summer? That is the time you increase your watering, not decrease. As far as I have found: Ficus love water when it is warm. (And if it is summer, why is the tree not outside?)

Tips of leaves drying out may be caused by salt buildup on the tips, due to foliar feeding. Do you foliar feed?
by leatherback

• EdwardDaggerhands
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by EdwardDaggerhands on topic Golden Gate Ficus - Browning Leaves

Posted 6 years 10 months ago #34052
Tubaboy: No browning since being moved.

Leatherback: That helps to know - thank you! All of the leaves that are browning are at the top of canopy. It has not been consistently warm where I live, no. It has actually been rather overcast, which, at times, seems to concentrate the sunlight... I don't know if that makes sense. It's cloudy, but bright. Not warm enough to move him outside yet, I don't think. I have never foliar fed.

I also noticed the very base of his trunk appears darker than the rest - almost as if waterlogged; but it's been this way for an extensive amount of time. Any idea what this might be?
by EdwardDaggerhands