Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

My Orme de Chine 6 years 5 months ago #35994

• Theo3401
  • Theo3401's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi everybody, my name is Théo, and I just bought my first bonsai.
The conditions he is living in are in front of a window, on the north side. (so indoor)
During the summer, he'll go outside, but it's getting a bit cold now in Belgium, so i keep him in.

As a beginner, of course, I'm always worried that it's going bad, and the first time is right now.
I'm not good at gardening, so I have no clue if this is normal or not.
By the way, I'm french, so I'm sorry if my english is not great, it's just good for me to practice it.

Their we go, my Orme de chine :

So what worries me is that when i bought it 3 days ago, every leaves were green..now some of them are becoming yellow, and i wanted to know if that was normal cause fall has arrived, or if it's because he is missing something (or if it's because I am missing something?)

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Théo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Orme de Chine 6 years 5 months ago #35995

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
Chinese Elms react to change by loosing their leaves...so if you are taking care of it properly, it might just need to get used to the new conditions. Have a look at the care guidlines on the website here. they do need lots of light, though... so a north facing window might not be the best place. If the tree was kept outside before you bought it, you should put it oustide.. they are hardy to a certain point...if it had spent it's life indoors, you should keep it inside until winter is over, and then maybe consider keeping it outside year round. but that depends on many factors.

My Orme de Chine 6 years 5 months ago #35998

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Chinese Elms are hardy. It is not cold at all, yet, and even when it is this tree should be outside. That is what is causing the leaves to hange. Put it out and leave it out. Learn how to water that is the most important thing you have to learn. Water when the soils is almost dry then water well. Do not water to a schedule.

My Orme de Chine 6 years 5 months ago #36050

• Theo3401
Oh, ok, thanks for you answers guys...
I really thought that I could keep it inside, as the seller told me (a pretty passionated guy)
I just followed your advise and put it outside.
Thanks for your help
Théo

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37026

• Theo3401
Hi again !
So as you said, I put it outside and it seems to be fine (apart from some yellow leaves, I'll show you tomorow when i can take a proper picture).
So everybody is saying that we have to be very careful about watering it. But the thing is, because it's outside, it's watered everyday as it rains almost everyday of the week. Is that fine then?
Thanks you in advance,

Théo

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37027

• btibbetts
If it was outdors at the nursery it should be used to it. Never fear asking the living conditions and history of a specimen you are purchasing.

Watering depends greatly on the soil or drainage of the soil you have. Knowing that will be your start to understanding its watering needs.

Did you read up on the care instructions here, they are normally very knowledgable.

Cheers

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37041

• Theo3401
Hi Btibbetts and thank you for you answer.
So when I bought it, it was under a greenhouse (i had to look up online how to say that word, so I'm not sure it's appropriante) and it stayed their until they sold it to me. But when i brought it home, I placed it almost directly outside. That was beginning of September if i'm not mistaking (the temperature were still above 5°)
The place i bought it from only sold Bonsai, and it's supposed to be one of the biggest bonsai green house in Europe. He told me about the soil where my bonsai is, and said that it was made for it. So I guess it is draining enough. So would that mean that i don't have to worry about the rain?
Sorry for my english, I'm pretty tired today, and it's a bit hard to speak it.

Two pictures of my bonsai today (yes i know, i havnt really trimed anything since i bought it B) )

This image is hidden for guests.

This image is hidden for guests.

Thanks again!!

Théo

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37042

• btibbetts
Its hard to tell from the picture, but with that moss I'm guesssing it holds a bit of water. Add in it was in a greenhouse, means to me, someone was watering it. I'd be careful with too much rain.
I only have a a few months on you in bonsai, so maybe someone else sees it different.

Chees

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37048

• Theo3401
Thanks for your answer Btibbetts ! Not saying that you are wrong at all, but their was this moss when i first bought it.
Thanks again,

Théo

My Orme de Chine 6 years 2 months ago #37052

• btibbetts
Not exactly what I was saying...

Cheers

• Page: