I have 7 questions. Any help would be so appreciat

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
6 years 4 months ago #36582 by Vegferret
Hi bonsai empire!

I've been reading and reading your site for about three months now as well as roughly 20 library books on propagation and bonsai but I still either can't find certain information or in finding drastically conflicting information so I wanted to post a few questions and see if anyone could please help me. I realize these are very varied questions but even if you could help with one I be so greatly appreciative please.

I know I've probably been stretching myself too thin because I have so many things I'm trying to grow right now but I'm so excited about it, and I finally have had time due to being out of work for a bit now due to multiple unsuccessful back surgeries. Boo, but that's not fun to talk about. Let's get to what it is. :-)

1.) Question-

What can I do about all of the leaves continuously falling off all of my tree cuttings?

Background-

I moisten them with rain water which I spritz on them all twice a day, and keep them in tied plastic bags that I open once or twice a day for fresh air, they're on a seedling heat mat and they have a grow light. I've tried this for up to three months with certain species, and I can't get anything to root and maybe it's because their leaves always end up falling off (with the one exception being the Buckeye tree and Boxwood which I've since learned you're not supposed to take a cutting of (the boxwood) until spring. Oh and I should mention to that I am using rooting hormone. I've used two different kinds but I just ordered a third brand that looks a bit more promising.

2.) Question-
How far exactly from the grow lights should these cuttings be? I have four different, very different, grow lights and I'm wondering if there is some general rule or formula on how far the trees and plants should be kept. Also I know that many of my conifers need indirect light and I'm wondering how to go about doing that with a grow light? I have some mesh, but I don't know if maybe I should be using something else or keeping them even further back or maybe even only giving them a couple hours of sun versus 14 to 16 like some of the others.

3.) Question-

I've recently learned that evergreens and conifers are very difficult to root. Does anyone have any specific advice on rooting them that might be beneficial please?

Background-

I recently had to move from my home of 22 years in the beloved Pacific Northwest to Ohio so I could move in and take care of my terminally ill mother. OF COURSE, I'm happy to be doing it but in all honesty I really well majorly miss the Pacific Northwest. Even the rain! Even with the ocean and the mountains being huge love's of mine, what I miss more than anything deeeeep down in my soul, are all of those giant beautiful evergreens and conifers we had. This is what finally made my long-term desire to have bonsai really take off. So I will enjoy having many kinds of trees but my main interest is primarily propagating conifers and pines if possible. I DO have some seeds strata spying in the garage as we speak but if I can figure out how to root a cutting, I'd be so thrilled!

4.) As Ive mentioned I have many types of cuttings going right now, and I've noticed that two or three of them have buds that are starting to open but haven't rooted yet. I'm concerned because I hear that really takes away from the plants energy to root. QUESTION- Should I pull off the buds that was opened? I just wonder if doing that will permanently not allow that area to create new buds/leaves/branches.

5.) Question-

Some of the needles on my conifer cuttings have turned completely brown. Does that definitely mean that it has died? I've read that sometimes the leaves may turn brown but not to give up because at times the roots are just taking the energy from the leaves. When I read this though it was about deciduous trees.

6.) Background (Question at end)

I purchased my bonsai tree from Walmart (I KNOW, haha, but it was the only place I could go at 4am when I desperately needed flu meds) roughly 5 months ago, I happen to see this is lonely, sad and fairly ill looking bonsai (without many leaves or many branches and a terrible root system because it was tipped over in its container) up on the clearance section. It didn't even have a tag of what kind it was but I later found out it was a Golden Gate ficus. Really really long story short er, I bought it, brought it home research the heck out of it for days and go figure, it ended up dying from overwatering. I tried many things but in the end was resigned to the fact that it probably had died but in one last stitch attempt I cut all of its leaves and part of the stem off and put it in a cooler spot without too much shade in miraculously just days ago it started sprouting branches out of its bark! I'm so thrilled but now I'll finally ask MY QUESTION- should I give it some kind of deluded fertilizer?

7.) Question –

How many hours of sunlight (using a grow light) should I actually be giving my cuttings? I've read everything from 6 to 16. :/

I thank, SO MUCH, anyone that has taken the time to read this, much less anyone who may offer me any help or advice. As I said I've been researching daily for hours each day, but I still have these questions. I'm sure I have plenty more questions actually, but these are my primary ones. :0)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #36586 by Auk
Questions 1.), 2.), 3.), 4.) 5.) 7.) are about cuttings. You did not mention the tree species; look up each species and its propagation techniques. These techniques are not specific for bonsai, you should find information specific for each species, regardless what purpose you are growing them for.

Bonsai are normal trees, that are grown outdoors - in most cases. I do not know of anyone that grows them using grow lights, as we do not need them.

6.) Background (Question at end)

I cut all of its leaves and part of the stem off and put it in a cooler spot without too much shade in miraculously just days ago it started sprouting branches out of its bark! I'm so thrilled but now I'll finally ask MY QUESTION- should I give it some kind of deluded fertilizer?

I wouldn't give it deluded fertilizer. I wouldn't give it diluted fertilizer either at the moment.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Auk.

I have 7 questions. Any help would be so appreciat - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #36596 by JosephCooper
Replied by JosephCooper on topic I have 7 questions. Any help would be so appreciat
(answering question 1) It depends on the species, but often bonsai (especially cuttings) die from too much care rather than not enough.

It's possible to grow evergreens and conifers from cuttings, but certainly not easy.

I'm not really sure what to do, I'm kind of still a noob at bonsai.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by JosephCooper.

6 years 4 months ago #36600 by Auk

JosephCooper wrote: often bonsai (especially cuttings) die

Not sure what you mean there. Bonsai cuttings? Cuttings taken from a bonsai?

6 years 4 months ago #36605 by leatherback
Replied by leatherback on topic I have 7 questions. Any help would be so appreciat
Growing pines from cuttings is near impossible.
Junipers is a matter of taking the cutting with a sharp knive and sticking a row of them in a bright, sheltered position and keeping them on the dry side, but never completely dry. Somewhere where they get early morning dew is perfect. Rooting may take 6 months.

Never check whether there are roots. THat is a sure way to kill them. growing uds a re a sign of life. Do NOT check for roots. Once the plant starts growing and has a couple of leaves, there are roots.

Hardly any species will strike indoors in winter. But as each species has their own do's and don'ts, do you research.