Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

new to Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36916

• Iceman
  • Iceman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I live in Yellowknife Canada and I am not sure what plants I can start with. My winters are 8 months long and temperatures are as low as - 50'c and my summers are short with about a high of 30'c. What will be the ideal plant for me? If I said I wanted a flowering or a plant that sheds its leaves in the fall am I asking for too much? please advice what plant will be the best for a beginner. I read so much I am just confused..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new to Bonsai 6 years 3 months ago #36917

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I live in Yellowknife Canada and I am not sure what plants I can start with. My winters are 8 months long and temperatures are as low as - 50'c and my summers are short with about a high of 30'c.

Had a look at Google Maps and seems you live in an interesting area - lots of lakes there? I did see trees on the map... so I looked up native trees for the North West Territories: www.enr.gov.nt.ca/en/services/forest-resources/tree-species-nwt

You could Google each one on the list combined with the word 'Bonsai' to see if the specific species is suitable.

Suitable are:
- Jack Pine
- Tamarack

A suitable deciduous tree could be the Dwarf birch (though this is Betula Glandulosa, not Betula Nana, and I did not find examples of it as bonsai).
The Paper Birch could work.

The Tamarack is a deciduous conifer.

Growing a bonsai for its flowers in your area I think will be difficult, unless when you have a greenhouse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: