Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New to the site and bonsai 6 years 2 months ago #37068

• Cdough562 !?
  • Cdough562 !?'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey all! I am brand new to bonsai, to the point of never triming,wiring, or repotting a tree. I have recently purcased about 8 junipers and 2 maples. I have watched about 200 hours worth of how to's and what not, but still feel lost. The issues i am having are alot, but to narrow it down, i have a couple main questions i am seeking guidance on.Keep in mind i live in southern California and i am considered zone 10. 1.) can i wire, prune, root trim, and repot now? Or is it better to wait? 2.) i have been taking online advice about watering, i havent watered for 3 days and my soil still seems wet. Should i water them? Or wait till they start to feel dry? And 3.) i am planning on growing a ton of trees from seed, anyone have a trust worthy site to purchase from they could recommend? And when would be the right time to start planting them? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to the site and bonsai 6 years 2 months ago #37069

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Well, welcome.

My advice would be to learn how to walk, before you start to run.
You have a number of plants. Good.
Learning how to kep these alive will be lesson 1. Wiring and repotting is only phase two. Have you grown plants before? Plants in pots?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cdough562 !?, Blackwood

New to the site and bonsai 5 years 5 months ago #44996

• Cdough562 !?
  • Cdough562 !?'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I guess my response never went through. I took your advice for the most part i let a bunch of my plants grow and just kept them alive and watched while pruning with careful instruction and i am now starting to get ready for scarification and stratification on a bunch of tree seeds i bought for germination in spring. I did do about 4 bonsai, the first died recently, the other 3 are doing good( might of over pruned the roots on the first one). Im excited to get things moving.

New to the site and bonsai 5 years 5 months ago #45002

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
cool. do share some pictures!
The following user(s) said Thank You: masjstovel

• Page: