Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

ID this species please 6 years 3 months ago #37091

• Lilac
  • Lilac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Can you please say what kind of a plant this is? It recently sprouted a large leaf, edges not curled like the rest. I trimmed it off.
Why is that happening and was it the right thing to do.
Thank you

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ID this species please 6 years 3 months ago #37092

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Can’t see what it is ad the leaves are shrivelled up - but why are you asking this on this forum?

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37235

• Lilac
This forum? Isn't this the forum to ask for ID of plant?

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37236

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Only if the plant is a bonsai (or a tree in training)

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37237

• R.lawko
  • Thanks received: 2
look like a flowering maple, abutilon, indian mallow

mine has redish flowers and they can be trained into bonsai. might take a while. ive got one that ive been training for 2 years and its starting to thinken with regular pruning and being outside for summer indoors when it drops below 6 or 7 degrees
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lilac

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37238

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

look like a flowering maple, abutilon, indian mallow

I don't know how you can see it from the tiny picture, but abutilon is not really suitable for bonsai. For a beginner... I'd just keep it as a normal house plant.

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37240

• Lilac
It IS a bonsai. It was just a sad looking one in the shop so I brought it home. It has a sturdy trunk that seems healthy but I don't know if it is. It is bare and has been cut. There are 3 healthy branches that are growing very healthy amount of leaves and a burst of new leaves and shoots that are very long.. I just want to know what kind (ficus?) it is and if I can get it back into a bonsai.

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37242

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

No. That is NOT the purpose of the forum. The purpose is discuss bonsai. From propagation to refinement. If you are lucke, people may help you to ID a plant. But typically people growing bonsai have a pretty good idea what they get, WHEN THEY GET IT. It is the first thing you need to know about a plant, otherwise you cannot take care of it properly.

It IS a bonsai. It was just a sad looking one in the shop so I brought it home. It has a sturdy trunk that seems healthy but I don't know if it is. It is bare and has been cut. There are 3 healthy branches that are growing very healthy amount of leaves and a burst of new leaves and shoots that are very long.. I just want to know what kind (ficus?) it is and if I can get it back into a bonsai.

Not back to this. It has been discussed a thousand times on this forum. And if you would actually have taken a little bit of effort looking at the posts you would have realized.. This is only a cutting of a plant. It is not a bonsai.

If you post a focussed, bigger picture of your plant, maybe someone can ID it. It could be a ligustrum, but probably isn't otherwise you would have ID-ed it yourself in the "tree species" identification section, I am sure.

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37243

• Lilac
I was told to follow guidelines about the photo I post that is why it is small. Anyway why are you so rude? If you are a bonsai enthusiast I would think you would welcome a query from someone new who is actually interested in it. It is not a cutting of a plant. The trunk has been trained and it looks like the trunk of a small tree. Perhaps you cannot see very well It was sold as a bonsai, maybe a little damaged. I have left it out all summer and reading up on bonsai.

ID this species please 6 years 2 months ago #37244

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

I was told to follow guidelines about the photo I post that is why it is small. Anyway why are you so rude? If you are a bonsai enthusiast I would think you would welcome a query from someone new who is actually interested in it. It is not a cutting of a plant. The trunk has been trained and it looks like the trunk of a small tree. Perhaps you cannot see very well It was sold as a bonsai, maybe a little damaged. I have left it out all summer and reading up on bonsai.

Me rude? I would disagree. I think I have given a fairly accurate and lengthy answer to the issues you raise.

To be honest. I find it rude to come to a forum, start asking questions without searching the forum first, to understand what the topic of discussion is. And to objecting when someone indicates that you have a cutting instead of a bonsai. But well. Maybe that is just me. I was brought up to first do my homework, Then ask questions.