Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Newly acquired ficus bonsai 6 years 2 months ago #37557

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

It takes something to be considered a bonsai, do your own research about that and see if you are happy to call it that. If you tone it down every tree in a pot could be a bonsai.
If you draw a picture not everyone will consider it art just aswell. And some people have their own very narrowed down criteria, I would advise to not be discouraged by these replies and decide for yourself.

Really Peh, your first post? And then this? Great!
It is not narrowed down criteria that individuals have. There are actual criteria before something is -according to the japanese- a bonsai. Considering it is a japanese term for a japanese artform, I would say, those are the main standards according to which something is called a bonsai. In the western world we have decided that we are not going to be as strict. However, there are basic requirements to bonsai. It is NOT just a treespecies in a pot.

For this plant, I would say.. If you REALLY want to make it a bonsai.. Consider layering the plant very low. Effectively, the bonsai is the roots with the first branches at the bottom. The rest can go for this tree (But layering will give you a second plant to play with). The bottom one you would then let grow to form a pleasant transition. And with time and training you can probably make an ok tree out of it.

Something to contemplate..: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/...onsai?start=10#37556

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newly acquired ficus bonsai 6 years 2 months ago #37577

• peh3
  • Thanks received: 1
I totally get how a tree in a pot is not a real bonsai. But I just think that, how you already explained, it is possible to make it look good if you have the knowledge.
I've just been reading alot of these comments that disregard peoples trees so harshly and thought that many times it is a bit unfair. And I also think that it probably kills the interest of many people, that probably otherwise would be glad to learn. But then again I can imagine how frustrating it is to see all these "bonsai" getting posted here.

Newly acquired ficus bonsai 6 years 2 months ago #37579

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
[quote="peh3" post=37577I've just been reading alot of these comments that disregard peoples trees so harshly and thought that many times it is a bit unfair.[/quote]

These comments concern the same type of tree time and time again and answers to questions that are being asked over and over and over again.
I think it is fair to expect someone has at least done a minimal amount of research and had a look at some topics on this forum. Barging in with something that has been answered countless times is a bit unfair, I'd say.

And I also think that it probably kills the interest of many people

These people weren't interested in bonsai in the first place. They purchased a common plant from a common nursery that doesn't even look remotely like a real bonsai. Telling them that it is NOT a bonsai is not harsh, it's the simple truth.

If you want to start doing bonsai with such a plant, that is badly shaped, supposed to be able to live indoors but really doesn't thrive there and very often quickly deteriorates after the purchase and change of environment, you're only making things difficult for yourself. Get proper start material if you are really interested.

I am NEVER harsh to people that are really trying to do bonsai and that are willing to learn.

Last edit: Post by Auk.
  • Page: