Bonsai forum

Sapling sprouted alongside my tree

• mdac
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Sapling sprouted alongside my tree was created by mdac

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #37662
Disclaimer: I'm totally new to bonsai trees - this is my first tree.

I was gifted a bonsai tree (tag just said elm, but I'm not sure whether that's accurate) a few months ago, which I've been taking care of. Since I'm very new to this sort of thing, I was wondering whether anyone might be able to please answer two of my questions?

Recently a smaller version of my tree sprouted alongside it. My bonsai is about 30cm tall; this lil one is about 4cm (see attached images). Is it part of my main tree and should I leave it there to grow? Or is it drawing nutrients from my bonsai, and I should uproot and repot the sapling elsewhere?

My other question is whether my tree is actually an elm? I'm sorry for the terrible quality pictures, but is anyone able to make out the type of leaves on the saplings and tell me whether it's an elm (and maybe what type of elm)? And if it is an elm, will it lose its leaves this coming autumn? How will I know if it's losing its leaves because it's deciduous, and not because it's sick?

Thank you so much for the help! I'm loving this little tree and hope it flourishes.

PS There used to be moss around the base of the tree, but I suspect birds ate it. Nevertheless, my tree seems to have fared fine without it.
by mdac

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Sapling sprouted alongside my tree

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #37664
Welcome!
It looks like an Elm, could be a Zelkova.
Never mind the baby tree, it's the same species. If they share the same roots, it could have an impact on the growing of the main tree.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: mdac

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Sapling sprouted alongside my tree

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #37666
Yeah, chinese elm.
The sprout probably popped from.the roots. Leave is. It is no problem. When you retot try to get it with some roots and plant it separately.
by leatherback

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Sapling sprouted alongside my tree

Posted 6 years 2 months ago #37671
Along these lines, I have obtained a couple of good trees sprouting in other pots. My yew last year sprouted a sycamore it grew about four feet before I cut it off to 15", and now is in its own pot. Its source is probably a large sycamore three yards away.
by Ivan Mann