TOPIC:

Forum Etiquette 6 years 2 months ago #37683

• leatherback
  • leatherback's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Welcome to the Empire!

This forum is a forum for all to discuss the fine art of growing japanese miniature trees, or Bonsai. In order to make your stay at the forum as pleasant as possible, please read through a few pointers as to how we prefere to interact.

Differences are common First of.. This is a very international forum, with members in virtually every country in the world. So for most, English is not their native tongue. As a result of this, together with all the different culural backgrounds, please be patient with the other members. Some are very elaborate in their responses. Others are short and to the point. But all are responding in an attempt to guide people in what they believe is the right direction.

Introduce yourself. Yes. This is a community. Let us know you are here, and who you are!? There is a thread for introductions: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/bonsai-cafe/184-introduce-yourself

No thread take-overs In this forum, we prefer it if people make a new thread instead of posting their own trees with similar questions in the thread of another person (The latter is referred to as thread hijacking, which will give you an idea how this is seen). Feel free however to cross-link to your own tree.

Bonsai, "mallsai" and frequently asked questions This forum is often visited by people who just have bought a plant labelled "bonsai" at one of the big retailers. Do note that although these starter plants are good to get into the hobby, most people will frown a little upon these plants. Several members will clearly let you know that this is not a bonsai. Please try and understand that this forum is not really about keeping these plants. They are however the type of plants that are most commonly bought as first introduction to bonsai. So do not get put off by the label. Use them to learn, and get a feel for what it is to grow bonsai.

Search the forum Unfortunately, many new members do not take the time to flip through a few posts to see whether their question has been answered. And at certain times of the years we see the same question pop up almost on a daily basis. Help the forum help you, by doing a search first. If you have a question like "Help my bonsai is dying", or "What bonsai do I have", please search the forum before asking this question. And for the "What bonsai do I have" type questions: There is a decent species guide on tis site (See menu items "Tree Species")
www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/bonsai-identification

How to ask a question. People are more responsive to qustions that indicate that you have done your homework too. So please indicate what you have done to answer your question yourself. A question that can be answered with one search in google will not get the most productive responses.

Respect the other members. Some of our members have een growing bonsai for well over a decade. Listen to what they have to say. Just because a website sais one thing, this is not per se true. Differences in opinion exists, and are great. But do not argue just to argue. Argue based on experience, or from confusion / to get clarification.

Enjoy and interact. No matter how new you are at the obby: Participate. This forum exists because of the members.Only by interacting will a forum stay around. So please. Enjoy your time here. Ask questions, give your insight and share your experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar, alainleon1983, Teye01, redman85, Clicio, leroycoutts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Forum Etiquette 6 years 2 months ago #37685

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
First of all, Leatherback thank you very much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive help post. It is surely fundamental for newcomers to the forum, and for some old members also!
Not hijacking your post, but rather adding to it, I leave below a link to help the most commonly asked questions from newbies; in the hope that it will be helpful to someone.

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/help-me/10126...us-juniper-help-here

Thanks again and lets talk about bonsai!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar

Forum Etiquette 6 years 2 months ago #37696

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291
Hi LB and Clicio, thanks a lot for your help! Really appreciate it and like your inputs a lot.
What I suggest is I add a text above the "New post" form as well, linking to the forum etiquette and to the two most often posted questions (I think that is ID my tree and help my bonsai is losing leaves - right?). Do you think that will help?

If you both work out the final version of the etiquette, I will paste the final version in a sticky post and link to it from the "New post" message, and at all times can we individually share the link with new posters in case they ignored it :)

At any time, feel free to contact me by email as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Forum Etiquette 6 years 2 months ago #37697

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oscar, LB,

I think it's an excellent solution.
LB could write the final version, and I can revise it.
Let's do it!

Forum Etiquette 6 years 1 month ago #37980

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi LB/Clicio,
LB, are you interested to do the final version, before we revise/finalize?

Forum Etiquette 6 years 1 month ago #37981

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

LB, are you interested..

Oscar, I think LB is on the road right now, but I am willing to help if needed.

Forum Etiquette 6 years 1 month ago #37984

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
I think this guide should be implemented somehow in the signup process and make sure every new member gets through it. Like Terms & Conditions you must agree before subscribing to something.

Good one LB!

Forum Etiquette 6 years 1 month ago #37992

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oscar,

Happy to help but not able to do so for another 2-3 weeks.

If someone else does it beforehand, it shoukd have info on posting pictures and why on the forum and not remote hosting.

Forum Etiquette 6 years 1 month ago #38016

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That's fine with me, or Clicio can help together with me? Perhaps we do this by email instead, you can always reach me through bonsaiempire.com/contact

Forum Etiquette 6 years 4 weeks ago #38478

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

That's fine with me, or Clicio can help together with me? Perhaps we do this by email instead, you can always reach me through bonsaiempire.com/contact

Any progress on this since I have been gone? Back home since a few hours, and recoivering from the grieve that has befallen my little olive and some others during my 3 months absense. Would be happy to continue, unless someone has already?

Any input from others as to what is missing (Obvuisoulse: The images info)

• Page: