TOPIC:

Introduce yourself! 12 years 11 months ago #184

• Youri1995
  • Youri1995's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Hi Everyone,

Here is a topic to introduce yourself, where you come from, what your experience is with bonsai etc.

I'll begin :)

I'm Youri van Pinxteren, I'm 15 years old and I live in Ulvenhout, The Netherlands. I began with bonsai 2 years ago, because I liked nature and I often helped my parents in the garden. People I know had some bonsais, and everytime I was there, I was wondering how you could make this beautiful trees. So I searched for a good plant, and found a little pine near some trees that I've putted into a pot and tried to make a bonsai from it, I didn't know how to (I had never red a book :pinch: ) so it died.. After some mor experiments that leaded to nothing, I decided to buy a bonsai book. I've red it like about 3 times and with my birthday I got a bonsai tree (a cheap one, the massed-produced ones), it was a carmona. Because I knew more about bonsais after the book, this was a bigger success, I still have it now for 1,5 years. It was a begin finding out what bonsai is and that it is more than just a small tree in a pot. After a year I've bought in a bonsai-nursery a little Juniper, my first real bonsai! :cheer:

At that time my whole yourney of bonsai began, and I still love it and I learn more and more, here on the forum, books, sites, experience. I learn more and feel the power it gives when you make something and you see the improvements after wiring, or pruning..it's hard to describe but everyone here knows how that feels, I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnarlwood, Clicio, Rojana, Bella Cataline, SOY TRAVEL JAPAN, Seakat, CarolF4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 11 months ago #185

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
Howdy all,

my name is Keith Lentsch(the celtic meaning of Keith is "Man of the trees" hence the user name) I am from the states... western New York to be exact. I am a 35 yr old father of 2 girls and have been an avid gardener and artist since i was young.
I recieved my first bonsai tree 5 years ago and have been collecting since.I have reacently been drawn to Shohin bonsai it's cool to hold what looks like a big old tree in the palm of your hand
when I was little I was always amazed by trees living on cliff edges in the gorge near my house.twisted,warn,roots hanging on barely to the soil.When i first saw Bonsai trees i was amased and have wanted to have one ever since.
I now have a small colection which include; Ficus,Mugo pine,Korean Viburnum,
Seiju Elm and a bunch of maples Japanese and American
My dream is to open a nursery someday and be able to grow plants and Bonsai for a living
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gnarlwood, CarolF4

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 11 months ago #202

• Rush2112
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello I am Tom I am from the greater Chicago land area and I am new to Bonsai. Me and my buddies have started this up after looking into it all last semester (We go to college out side of the city). We have begun Bonsai in our dorm room and have a small collection of various tropical and sub-tropical plants. I look forward to getting to know you all and am eager to learn more about this ancient art.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 11 months ago #207

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193
howdy Tom, glad to have you here...i'm sure we would all like to see pics of your trees.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 9 months ago #282

• Christopher
hey there,
My name is Christopher. I love in Beaumont, Texas. I am new to the art of bonsai, but have been growing things since a very young age. I am currently 24 years old. I would say that I have a green thumb. My collection of sorts consists of about 5 different orchids, a ivy that my grandmother gave me, ( Im very proud if it. when I got it, it had about 10 15 foot strands all tangled together in a big mess. As soon as she gave it to me I repotted it, and chopped up all the peaces into a ton of 3 foot peaces. I got them to root in some water, and then planted them back into the pot with the mother plant. This thing has exploded with new growth since I did this.) I also have several cacti, and probably 20-30 other plants of different kinds. I LOVE nature. It makes me feel very connected to life. I am excited to see what the future is going to hold in my bonsai adventure.

If you want to know anything else just let me know. Ill try to post pics of all my other "growings on" in the future.

see you arround!

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 9 months ago #283

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Cristopher,

Welcome to BonsaiEmpire! I, and I think more people, would love to see your trees etc. and if you have any questions, just make a topic and I'm sure we can help you out ;)

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 9 months ago #286

• Christopher
Thanks youri1995
I will keep that in mind, and i will post photos asap.
take care.

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 8 months ago #462

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi everyone! :cheer:

I'm so grateful for this forum I discovered on Sat.July 1st, 2011. Although I've already submitted a few posts here on the forum I thought I should *officially* introduce myself. ;)

My name in Leslie and I'm from the Province of Ontario, Canada. I live in the South/Central region of Ontario which I have nic-named the *tropics* of the Province...:P Well...seeing as everyone else is sharing...must I?:pinch: ...oh alright then...I'm 55 years of age and I am retired on a disability pension. I am an artist...painter, woodcarver, pyrographer. I love Nature and gardening and have several house plants as well. I also love horses although I have never had one of my own. :( I live in a third floor apartment however, I am fortunate to have the use of two raised beds located in the courtyard of the apt. building where I grow flowers in the *sun bed* and beautiful shade plants in the *shade bed*.

It seems recently I have a need to branch out from the *usual* gardening practices and, after doing much research online I have just created my first *Fairy Dish Garden* and my first *Terrarium*...*AND*...I just bought my first Bonsai!!! I am completely *green* (pardon the pun) to the art of Bonsai and very excited however, I'm going to need a lot of guidance!!!:blush: I look forward to to getting to know everyone here and to exchanging thoughts, ideas and sharing our Bonsai Journey.

I'm now heading over to the "BEGINNERS...HELP ME!!!" page...cuz boy, do I need it! :S LOL!

Leslie

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 8 months ago #471

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Welcome Leslie, we're glad to have you here :)

Re: Introduce yourself! 12 years 8 months ago #478

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Thank you, Youri for the welcome...I have so much to learn and it's an honour to be here.

Leslie