Help my dying Azalea please!

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Help my dying Azalea please! was created by mrcheapyasui

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38182
I got a small Azalea bonsai about a month ago. You can see in the pictures it is not looking good any more! The buds and leaves have lost their color and look dried up. I have had the plant outside on a south west facing patio. The temp range has probably been 40-60 degrees on average. I have had positioned to receive direct sun most of the time, but I tried moving it to indirect sun more recently. I have been watering it a lot, usually either every day or every other day.

Am I watering too much? Too little? Is my poor plant already dead?

Thanks for any advice you have.
by mrcheapyasui

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Replied by tubaboy on topic Help my dying Azalea please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38186
from what it looks like, your plant is dead. From what you said about your watering, you probably killed it with too much water. 40-60 degrees fahrenheit I assume, which are early spring temperatures for most temperate climates. At those temperatures, you might go days without having to water a plant, the rule of thumb is, water when the soil feels slightly dry.

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/azalea
by tubaboy

Replied by tubaboy on topic Help my dying Azalea please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38187
the temperature in the care guid is not correct. 41 F is not -5 c.
by tubaboy

Help my dying Azalea please! - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Help my dying Azalea please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38189
Yes quite probably over watered, and probably dead, although it is possible it could recover. Stop moving it around. It needs sun and it is not hot at the moment. I would leave it, cut some of the dead wood and hope. If when you cut into the wood it is brown then it is dead, but if it is green then that wood is still alive so there is a chance, but you must not water so much.
41F is about 5C I think.
by m5eaygeoff

Replied by Clicio on topic Help my dying Azalea please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38192
In my experience with azaleas, this one is a goner.
by Clicio

Replied by mrcheapyasui on topic Help my dying Azalea please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38219
Thank you everyone for your feedback! It is not what I had hoped to hear, but it is what I suspected. I just took some azalea cuttings from my parent's house, so I'll have to try this again :unsure:
by mrcheapyasui
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio