Bonsai forum

Advice please!

• KennethK
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Advice please! was created by KennethK

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38352
Hello all,

I was hoping someone might be so kind as to offer some advice about my bonsai.

I bought it about 8 months ago and until about 6 weeks ago it was flourishing.

In terms of condition, I positioned it in a window that receives moderate levels of light - but it's hardly very intense in London over winter.

I always leave the window open so it can be very cold at times; even with the temperature at about 0, which is about as cold as it gets here, the window is open.

I watered the tree with mineral solution once or twice a week.

Finally, it's next to a radiator, but I have a real aversion to heating, so it was never on.

In these conditions, the plant flourished. It grew a lot, and had a lovely fragrance.

Unfortunately a new flatmate moved in, who insisted that the heating was always on. Initially, this had no apparent effect.

However, one day I agreed that someone could use my room as a work space for the day. I came home to find that the heating had been turned up to max, the window had been closed, and the door left shut. It must have been at least 35 degrees. My bonsai was drooping terribly and a lot of leaves had fallen off. The tree had completely lost its shine and fragrance.

I feared that it was dead, but moved it to another spot in the house, similar to the first but where it couldn't get hot. I kept up its previous watering schedule, and cut many off the worst affected stems off.

After a week, there was no sign of recovery so I cut all of the leaves off, hoping it would help spur recovery.

Now, about 6 weeks later, there is no sign of regrowth. The tips of the stems/branches where I cut them are a mix between green and brown. I understand the green is an indicator that the plant may still be alive. But if so, should I expect to have seen some form of regrowth by now?

Additionally, some of the trunk is a strange blue/green colour, not sure whether this is indicative of anything?

Please do let me know if there is anything I can do, and whether 6 weeks is long enough to have seen some sign of improvement. I hope one day's exposure to very high temperatures couldn't have permanently damaged my tree?

Many thanks,

Kenneth
by KennethK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Advice please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38353
Could you please post a picture of the tree?
by Clicio

• KennethK
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by KennethK on topic Advice please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38354
Sure, I will do so tomorrow.

Thanks, Clicio, for your help!
by KennethK

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic Advice please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38355
what species is this tree you are talking about? you might not see any new buds because the tree is probably still in its winter dormancy.
by crent89

• KennethK
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by KennethK on topic Advice please!

Posted 6 years 1 month ago #38356
From comparing with the species included in the identification section it looks like a Chinese pepper Bonsai (Zanthoxylum).

However, I've never noticed any thorns. Furthermore, the guide says that this species must be protected from temperatures below 10 degrees. It certainly was in a draughty position where the temperature would have been lower than this, but seemed to thrive for many months.

The leaves were very waxy and had a citrus scent, if that helps.

Thanks for the help.
by KennethK