Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39211

• LN-MAG
  • LN-MAG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi!

I bought a ficus microcarpa ginseng from IKEA in autumn last year. First of all it started by shedding a lot of its leaves, but I've learned this is quite normal when moving this kind of tree. It never got the same amount of leaves again, but now that the days are getting longer with more sunlight I see more and bigger leaves growing which is good.

However some of the leaves start getting black. It almost always starts at the tip of the leaf. Also some of them have very small white dots. This is also the case for the soil in some places.

The stem has also gotten a dark spot, which feels very dry and brittle when touching it. In fact most of the branches feel very dry, not what I would expect from a tropical tree. I've been watching the soil and have given it on average 1-1,2 liters of water every 5-7 days. I have also sprayed it with water once a month. I have not given it any fertilizer since someone told me the falling leaves would fertilize the soil, but this doesn't sound right to me.

The plant doesn't look like it's dying but it looks far from as healthy as when I bought it. Any advice to what I might be doing wrong? See pictures below:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39212

• LN-MAG
This is the product page btw. (in Norwegian): m2.ikea.com/no/no/p/ficus-microcarpa-gin...ere-farger-80234547/

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39214

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

This is the product page btw. (in Norwegian): m2.ikea.com/no/no/p/ficus-microcarpa-gin...ere-farger-80234547/

A "Potteplante";. Nowhere on the page does it say it is a bonsai and that's correct, it isn't.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39216

• LN-MAG
What? The product page clearly says it’s a bonsai. However that wasn’t the question.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39218

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

What? The product page clearly says it’s a bonsai. However that wasn’t the question.

he is right your tree is not a bonsai its actually considered a mallsai (mass produced tree). but back to your question have you searched the forum before asking, not to be a pain but this question has been asked at least 3 times this week and maybe even more last week. you may find your answer here somewhere.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39220

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I bought a ficus microcarpa ginseng from IKEA

Sorry, but IKEA doesn't sell bonsai trees.

However some of the leaves start getting black. It almost always starts at the tip of the leaf.

if your ficus leaves are turning brown at the tips, it’s probably due to moisture problems, a lack of nutrients or disease.
But...
A Google away:
www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/fic...us-losing-leaves.htm

The plant doesn't look like it's dying but it looks far from as healthy as when I bought it.

It's difficult to kill a Ficus, but they don't like to be moved around (wait for at least half a season so it will get used to its new spot).
But watering properly, lots of light and fresh air are always welcome.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39221

• LN-MAG
I don't doubt that he's right. I would trust the advice I get here far more than what IKEA says.

Yes I did search and browse through the forums and found some topics with suggestions for some of the issues but didn't find answers to all the questions, so I thought it was better to ask all the questions in one post with pictures of the actual tree.

I will try to look a little deeper in the forums for answers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39227

• LN-MAG

Sorry, but IKEA doesn't sell bonsai trees.

I've never said it is a bonsai.. :)

if your ficus leaves are turning brown at the tips, it’s probably due to moisture problems, a lack of nutrients or disease.
But...
A Google away:
www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/fic...us-losing-leaves.htm

OK thank you. I've found a lot of articles like that and tried some of the advice. For the last month it's been sitting right in front of a window, but previously it sat 3 meters away. It seems to be doing better now but I suspect maybe I've been overwatering it. I will try giving it less water and see what happens. Also I will try giving it some fertilizer.

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39244

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
Could this be a sun burn?

Ficus Ginseng - leaves turning black etc. 5 years 11 months ago #39250

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Could this be a sun burn?

In Norway, in a Ficus, this time of the year? I don´t think so.

Ficus are tropical/sub-tropical species that can and will endure a great deal of sun and won´t be fazed by sun. I have one myself and it endures +45ºC in summer time at a full sun position and it has never suffered any sun burn at all.

Alain

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.
  • Page: