Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Hinoki Cypress leaves dyding 6 years 4 days ago #39284

• Tesla760
  • Tesla760's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello, i have 2 Junipers, maple and a 4 foot Cypress, i water them automatically , each plant gets 2 liters of waters at 6AM.

My trees are turning brown and dying but only 15% of the trees are this way i would say.

They get sun for 6 hours a day starting at 7AM. I live in Southern California and its 70 to 80F during the peak while cold in the AM.

I've owned them for 1 year and they were beautiful but now they are aging, should i have fertilized them or not gave them that much water ?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hinoki Cypress leaves dyding 6 years 4 days ago #39292

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
They are in desperate need of pruning and probably re potting from the state of the soil which looks very wet and not good. All trees need fertiliser,

Hinoki Cypress leaves dyding 6 years 4 days ago #39294

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113
What is reason for automatic/scheduled watering? Also, I dont think watering in the morning is best practice anyway.

Hinoki Cypress leaves dyding 6 years 3 days ago #39311

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Hello, i have 2 Junipers, maple and a 4 foot Cypress, i water them automatically , each plant gets 2 liters of waters at 6AM......

I've owned them for 1 year and they were beautiful but now they are aging, should i have fertilized them or not gave them that much water ?

Why the tight schedule on watering? Different trees, different pots, possibly different soil mixes = diferent watering regimes. Why you feel that providing exactly two liters of water at precisely 6 A.M is the right way of watering these trees?

Honestly, this is the first time I´ve heard this... I hadn´t known of anyone that would measure exactly how much water should be provided to a tree.

Other than that... By the aspect of the soil I´m inclined to believe that you are watering far too much or too frequent these trees. Also... When you water your trees does a pond form on top of the soil? That is... Does it drain properly?

Alain

Hinoki Cypress leaves dyding 6 years 3 hours ago #39412

• gcostanzo
  • Thanks received: 0
I love automatic watering! it definitely saves me from forgetting and double watering or under watering, it also gives the ability to fine-tune. I think the Hinoki needs way less frequent watering than you are giving it. with 2 liters a day im surprised you dont have puddles on the floor! I would also echo the comment that: they need a solid pruning, especially where you have whirls of many branches coming from the same spot, trim those down to 2, or max 3.
Ryan Neil does one in this stream, to get the fill details you need to subscribe do thier website Bonsai Mirai, it is kinda pricy, but it does seem like really good detail.

• Page: