Bonsai forum

Deformed leaves

• Mei.lin.da
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Deformed leaves was created by Mei.lin.da

Posted 6 years 4 days ago #39480
Hello some of my tree's leaves are growing out deformed. What am I doing wrong? I have been giving it fertiliser some time, not often though. Is the fertiliser maybe too strong?

Or is it just the winter? I live in plant zone 4 so I'm actually just happy it survived the winter.
by Mei.lin.da

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 4 days ago #39481
Impossible to tell from the picture, but it could be a number of things. You don't say what species it is or if it has been outside. How are you watering? How much light is it getting? I would say it is nothing to do with fertiliser, it would not cause this.
by m5eaygeoff

• Mei.lin.da
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Mei.lin.da on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 4 days ago #39484
I bought my tree from an ordinary plant shop so I do not know for sure what species it is but when I asked some people what they thought they said that they think it can be a serissa foetida. I haven't seen any flowering yet though.

The tree is standing in a northeastern window. I water it every second day or when the soil feels dry about 1 cm down.

I have an radiator below my window which I know isn't ideal but I have tried to have it on as low heat as possible and spray some water on the tree to keep up the humidity.

I bought the tree in November and has since then been inside because of winter and coldness.
by Mei.lin.da

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170

Replied by tubaboy on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 3 days ago #39493
It looks like a serissa foetide from the leaves. could this be it:

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/serissa

It looks like they might be drying out, which is what I would say without having seen the rest of the tree. Serissas don't like change at all. They can have entire branch die-back even at the smallest change of environment. Have you moved it recently?
by tubaboy

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 3 days ago #39494
Your watering is all wrong, do not water to a schedule. Water when the soil is almost dry, having checked every day with a chopstick or similar. The radiator is a big problem. This species is not the easiest to keep without having poor conditions for it
by m5eaygeoff

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 3 days ago #39498

m5eaygeoff wrote: This species is not the easiest to keep without having poor conditions for it

They are very sensitive to watering, light, and as said, thet hate to be moved around.
by Clicio

• Mei.lin.da
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Mei.lin.da on topic Deformed leaves

Posted 6 years 3 days ago #39509
To what m5eaygeoff said about watering schedule. I said that I water it when the soil is dry about 1cm down. Which most often is every second day. But if needed because of a sunny day or something I water it more often. Do you guys think it correct to water it when the top soil about 1 cm down is try or should it dry out more ore less in between?

About moving it around it always stands in the same place but maybe it can feel slight changes of the weather outside because it is so close to the window. I know that what I can offer my tree might not be ideal but I live in a cold area so during this winter it has differed from 0-(-20) degrees celsius outside.

I've thought about moving it inside my room maybe 1m from the window but during winter I was afraid that would lead to too little light. What experiences do you have with plant lightning is that something you would recommend for me?

Also here's some more pictures of my tree if you want to see the whole tree. Excuse my temporary ugly pot. Also if you have any tips about what wiring/pruning I should do everything is welcome I'm quite new to all this so all ideas are welcome.
by Mei.lin.da

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.