Bonsai forum

[HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale.

• Smilemoar
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

[HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale. was created by Smilemoar

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39693
Hi guys,

So a few months ago I got gifted another bonsai. It was an arrangement of pine trees to look like a small forest.

However, out of the blue over the last week, one has suddenly started to go really, really pale. I am certain it is dying but I cannot figure out what is the cause.

I have linked to several images of the bonsai in question so you can see what I am talking about.

See here:
imgur.com/a/JXenUvQ

I have so far tried extra watering, less watering, fertilizer, more sunlight, less sunlight, singing songs to it and even threatening it, to no avail. I find it odd since normally when such things happen I would suspect the roots were damage too much when they transferred them over, but this has been here since Feb/March leading me to believe it might be something else.

Since each tree is currently wired into place to ensure straight growth I am wondering if the wire might be poisoning it perhaps?

Any help given will be greatly appreciated.
by Smilemoar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic [HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale.

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39695
Please upload your pictures to your post. That way they are available when you remove them from your account. Also, I personally do not follow external links I cannot trace.
by leatherback

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic [HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale.

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39696
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

That is neither a pine nor is it a bonsai. Your juniper is dead.
No, it's not the wire poisoning it. No idea why it was wired though.
Last Edit:5 years 11 months ago by Auk

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Auk.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic [HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale.

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39697
As these are young plant, I venture this was put together recently. Probably this winter. Part of putting it together the wrong way is extreme root reduction. The one that is dead here, proably did not survive the treatment.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

• Smilemoar
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Smilemoar on topic [HELP] One pine tree bonsai going really pale.

Posted 5 years 11 months ago #39698

Auk wrote: No, it's not the wire poisoning it. No idea why it was wired though.

It was wired to some thicker pieces of wire running vertically along the trunks of each plant. The idea I think was to ensure that they grow straight upwards rather than haphazardly. But I mentioned it since I only have limited knowledge of this piece since I never did it myself.

leatherback wrote: As these are young plant, I venture this was put together recently. Probably this winter. Part of putting it together the wrong way is extreme root reduction. The one that is dead here, proably did not survive the treatment.

Yeah, they are young relatively speaking.

The friend of mine who had them previously has had them since Mid-December 2017, where they were in this form. The only difference is soil was apparently swapped in Jan 2018 so they could build up the middle more. I have only had them since March so I am not sure if this is something that occurred a while ago before finally catching up with the plant or if something recent has occurred.

It's a bit annoying since all my other 17 bonsai's (including several Australia Natives) are all doing very well. Even my temperamental Maple is doing fine. So I figured I'd ask since I am at a loss as to what is happening here.
by Smilemoar