Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40023

• jhs0718
  • jhs0718's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So today I happily bought my first ever bonsai! However, I quickly realized that I have no idea what to do! Right now all I have is the bonsai pot, a jade tree and some bonsai soil that they sell at a local nursery. I have quite a few questions! I know I will need some mesh for the pot, wire, fertilizer and a bonsai trimmer. Now for the questions. How should I wire the tree to the pot? What would be the best style for this specific tree (looks to me like it would be best as a formal upright)? What branches should I cut? Should i take off all of the bigger leaves? How exactly do I wire for the style that you think would be best? Any other questions I should ask?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40042

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855
You don't need wire or fertiliser, and the best pot is a larger plastic one. At the moment there is nothing to do to this plant apart from letting it grow. Buy a book and learn how to look after a Crassula house plant. They do not like a lot of water but they do like light.

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40050

• jhs0718
  • jhs0718's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm not sure I understand. From what I've read that is not how you are supposed to bonsai a tree, by just letting it grow.

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40053

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hi,
Indeed, a bonsai is trimmed. What you have however, is a young cutting. This is not an ideal species for bonsai, which is I think what the previous poster was hinting at. There are much better species for bonsai. Just enjoy this as a regular houseplant, I would say.

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40146

• DogDoc
  • Thanks received: 1
OP, there are a lot of artists doing beautiful work with jade plants. Just google "Jade Bonsai" and you'll see countless examples.

I get what folks are telling you here, that jade isn't really a bonsai plant in the classical sense. That said, delta blues slide guitar isn't really guitar in the classical sense. But the old flamenco-pickin' spaniards of yesteryear probably would have really gotten a kick out of it and would likely have experimented with it if they'd had metal strings and beer bottle necks for slides.

By the same token, the old Japanese masters (who would have been seen as a bunch of rebellious upstart wannabees by their Chinese Penjing predecessors) would probably have gotten a kick out of working with jade if they'd had access to it.

I've done a lot of "bonsai" on jades. I think it's taught me a fair bit about styling, potting and how to focus on plant care that will be useful on my journey toward becoming a decent bonsai artist with "real" bonsai trees. I've just recently started to undertake some serious classical bonsai with real tree species. I don't regret having played with the jades first and continue to enjoy doing so. Jades are good for a little quick gratification while we wait patiently for our real trees to progress. It may not be "Zen" but it's kind of a hoot. :0)

Last edit: Post by DogDoc.

Bonsai Newbie Seeking Help 5 years 11 months ago #40149

• DogDoc
  • Thanks received: 1
BTW, here's a good care guide for them provided by our host.

www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/jade-tree

• Page: