Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40180

• West sai
  • West sai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I’m in my second month of obsessing over and researching bonsai. I’m on my 4th attempt. My problem is I’m getting bits and pieces of information here and there between Youtube, google, books etc. all of the info focuses on pruning, wiring, re-potting and watering. I haven’t found any info that dives deep into training pots, when they are necessary, OR how to care for a tree from nursery stock directly after it’s potted. I’ve had success with my indoor Chinese elm, there’s a ton of new growth, but my junipers... From most of my research, it seems like I should pot it, throw it in the sun, stick my finger in the soil to make sure it’s not dry. 2 brown trees later I came across an obscure article saying I should soak it once, not touch the tree or pot, keep the newly potted tree in the shade and mist the leaves for 2 weeks, then I immediately read an article saying not to shade it. I ordered 3 bonsai books which told me the same things I’ve learned already without touching on what I needed info on, which brings me here. I need to hear from people who have made it to the promise land of juniper new growth in a bonsai pot! Thanks

I’m new to bonsai and styling, please don’t take my head off lol

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40181

• West sai
4th attempt, currently in the shade. Should it stay there, or should I keep it in the sun with a plastic bag over it? Which is ALSO what I read to do

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by West sai.

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40183

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
Junipers need sun plastic bag is not a good idea, you are trying to do too much too soon when you do not know what you should be doing. The wiring leaves a lot to be desired, keep it in the sun and water when needed that is when almost dry. Chinese Elms belong outside where all trees belong, they are hardy and need sun too. if you have just re potted then do not add fertiliser for about a month, once it has started to grow you can fertilise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: West sai

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40186

• West sai
Thanks for the input! No I do NOT know what I’m doing and there are holes in the information I’m finding, I have questions, that’s why I’m here! So no bag and no shade also, got it. Maybe I just need to be more patient, it was just frustrating that the elm did well right away after potting but the junipers haven’t shown me anything. I also didn’t prune or shape the elm either tho. And there were a lot of variables with the junipers outside, our spring has been crazy. Freezing rain and 20 degrees one day, 70 degrees and hot the next, so maybe that played a part

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40187

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Thanks for the input! No I do NOT know what I’m doing and there are holes in the information I’m finding,

Then don't apply the information before you get it confirmed.

I’m in my second month

As said, you're doing far too much in a too short period. Maybe you have seen these youtube movies to create an instant bonsai from a juniper.
That is not going to work. You need to be far more patient and take one step at a time. Do not wire/repot/prune all at the same time. The plant needs time to recover.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40188

• West sai
You are right! EVERY video shows instant wiring pruning and potting! No article, video OR book has said ANYTHING about taking time between those steps. Once again, holes in the information. And up until now I’ve had no one to confirm the info with before applying it. Coming from no knowledge on horticulture or bonsai why would I assume I should do it any other way! Good info! So wire and shape in original pot and soil, leave it until it shows growth and then repot maybe?

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40190

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

You are right! EVERY video shows instant wiring pruning and potting! No article, video OR book has said ANYTHING about taking time between those steps. Once again, holes in the information. And up until now I’ve had no one to confirm the info with before applying it. Coming from no knowledge on horticulture or bonsai why would I assume I should do it any other way! Good info! So wire and shape in original pot and soil, leave it until it shows growth and then repot maybe?

Seems like those informations coming with understanding the biology and working mechanism of the trees. I couldn’t find this in the beginner vids on yt neither, but get them from more advanced articles, or example from the BSOP video series.
It’s really a delicate system and need to be in balance. You “just” need to know how the tree recovers from different procedures. If you prune the roots, the tree get less water to support the foliage. If you prune the leaves, the sugar production falls. If you prune branches, you reduce the storage system for those sugars, and force the tree’s healing mechanism to work on the wound and give more power for the other branches close to the site. Different periods of the tree needs different work stages, like root pruning when the tree just wake up from the dormancy. And etc.. etc.. etc... Different species with different needs. Looks easy as pie.. :lol:

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40193

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
The movies you see are either from:

- People not knowing about bonsai and not being able to create bonsai, thinking they can but messing it up (like the 'New Easy Bonsai' method movies on Youtube. Do NOT watch that and take it seriously)
- People creating 'instant' bonsai - which hardly ever will turn into good bonsai
- People not really creating a bonsai, but just demonstrating techniques
- People who work on a tree that has been prepared to be shaped as a bonsai in the course of many, many years

So wire and shape in original pot and soil, leave it until it shows growth and then repot maybe?

What Felidae (our super fast learner :) ) said.

1. Be patient.
2. Study your species. Take your time to learn when is the best time to do certain actions like repotting, pruning, wiring.
2. Be patient. Do not try to do multiple different actions at the same time. Give the tree time to recover.
3. Most important: your first concern is to keep your trees healthy and thriving. Do not work on trees that are not in top condition. Be patient.
4. Be patient. Growing bonsai takes years, growing good bonsai decades. The very best bonsai even took centuries to grow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jin21, Felidae, West sai

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40194

• West sai
THIS! This is what I need to know! I will look for the BSOP video series. Are there any books you recommend? I am a plastic plant person trying to change my stars and lead my thumb to greener pastures lol

After potting nursery stock??? 5 years 10 months ago #40195

• West sai
I’m going to post a 5 second video about bonsai training on YouTube. It will be me and my dying tree, my script will read “Get off of YouTube, get on a bonsai forum...Thank you.”

So when i get nursery stock, I should water it and make sure it’s growing (healthy) before I do anything. Noted.

“This is your bonsai... this is your bonsai on YouTube...any questions?”

• Page: