Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Sun scorched and over heated Chinese Elm Bonsai 5 years 11 months ago #40337

• Gemins
  • Gemins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My previously happy bonsai has been flourishing since November with an abundance of dark green leaves. However, two weeks ago, the unseasonably hot London sun seemed to have scorched it. It sits by the window to receive morning light, but I think this was too much, in addition to overheating the whole tree. The leaves turned brown and crispy (photos attached).

I am at a loss with what to do - as in the picture, it seems complete burnt with no signs of new life; no green buds just bare twiggy branches. I have moved it to a cooler shady area of my home and mist it everyday while making sure the base stays moist, but there is no progress. I also fed it with the bonsai feed, but have learned that this is not useful if it's not growing. I think it needs to be repotted, and there is some powdery white stains around the soil and ceramin pot (mildew?) and have added some new soil on top. I scraped a bit under the bark of the trunk and it is still green so hopefully it can be revived. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sun scorched and over heated Chinese Elm Bonsai 5 years 10 months ago #40338

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
You left out the part where you forgot to water it. This is not sun damage. And in general, if the tree was nto moved it should be able to handle it.

All the wrinkled branches are dead. I think in top you have a few living branches.

Put the plant outside, in dappled shade. Water carefully (Do NOT let it sit in a soaking wet soil, and do not let it dry out). Wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gemins

Sun scorched and over heated Chinese Elm Bonsai 5 years 10 months ago #40341

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

You left out the part where you forgot to water it

It's embarassing.

Sun scorched and over heated Chinese Elm Bonsai 5 years 10 months ago #40342

• Gemins
  • Gemins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I went away for 10 days and my sister assured me she watered it....thanks for exposing her neglect :D

• Page: