Bonsai forum

Newbie Help Please.

• Jimmymack
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Newbie Help Please. was created by Jimmymack

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41779
Hi to all, I have been given a Bonsai as a present and believe it was bought in France. Lovely thing but all the instructions are in French and cant find anywhere that says what species it is. I have zero knowledge with normal plants etc so Bonsai is beginning to look like witchcraft to me. I would hate to see this lovely thing die and would appreciate any help in identifying it and how to care for it. I have been advised to keep the soil moist all the time and have made out that it should have some kind of tray underneath it to provide water.
I have placed it in the window but only gets the sunshine in the morning. I have attached photos. Thanks in advance.
by Jimmymack

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 10 months ago #41786

Jimmymack wrote: Lovely thing but all the instructions are in French and cant find anywhere that says what species it is.

Please take a picture of the french information provided with the tree and I will translate it for you.

Jimmymack wrote: I have zero knowledge with normal plants etc so Bonsai is beginning to look like witchcraft to me.

It is sorcery.
But you can learn it, if you take the time to do so.

Jimmymack wrote: I would appreciate any help in identifying it and how to care for it.

Start here:
www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/podocarpus

Jimmymack wrote: I have made out that it should have some kind of tray underneath it to provide water.

Bad and not needed decision.

Jimmymack wrote: I have placed it in the window but only gets the sunshine in the morning.

Bonsai trees belong outdoors.
Only morning light by a window is not similar to full sun outside.
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmymack

• Jimmymack
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Jimmymack on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #41814
Thank you Clicio

Very prompt response. I have attached photos of the instructions, your a man of many talents. It helps knowing the species as they seem quite common given google results. Iwould appreciate a few more answers if you could?
I have noticed that the roots are bulging in the pot and was wondering should it be re-potted or do the roots get trimmed?
When watering do I keep pouring till the water exits the holes in the pot and what frequency should it be?

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy
by Jimmymack

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #41815
The text in the "instrucional label" is not very informative, it is in fact very generic.
The first picture they write about watering, and try to sell you a product they carry (Autoarrosagebonsai) to automate the task. Following that, on the second picture, it advises about placement, mainly saying they can be kept inside or in a balcony (which is not completely true).
Then, fertilizing. Spring, Fall, etc and then...Another product they sell is suggested (Keiko). Then, watering again (water when the soil feels dry to the touch, not on a schedule, etc.)
Third picture: pinching, pruning and repotting. VERY basic info, like "do it in the beginning of the Spring, prune to the first pair of leaves," etc. Or "repot your bonsai every three years cutting 1/3 of the roots".
There is NOTHING ABOUT your specific plant, sorry.
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Clicio
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Clicio.

• Jimmymack
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Jimmymack on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #41843
Thanks for the help. I will do some studying on google. Is there a you tube channel you can recommend as Im tryng to get my head around the pruning but not sure what to prune. I have noticed the needles appear to be getting quite long and seem to be out of scale to the trunk etc.

Thanks for the help.
by Jimmymack

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #41846
Buy a book, the size of the needles is not important when the plant is this young.
by m5eaygeoff

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic Newbie Help Please.

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #41853
bonsai mirai has some really good informative videos. look out for his BSOP spring fundamentals videos.
by crent89