Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41804

• leming12345
  • leming12345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

Just bought a bonsai and was wondering if any had any tips from experience for looking after this plant. I looked online for articles like this: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/maple
I currently have it by the window slightly open for some air. I spray the plant regularly with filtered water, and water once the soil is slightly dry on the top.
Some leaves have started to fall off and some leaves have some holes in it (see attached), does anyone know why this might be the case?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41807

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I am sure you have read these should be outside?

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41812

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Hey,
By looking the surrounding buildings, I assume you live in something similar, without balcony. As Leatherback told to you (just much more gently), it’ll die like this. You need to replicate outside conditions. You can make it, but it won’t be a cheap ride, and you need some knowledge. Easier to change it for an indoor plant, but if you absolutely want to keep (and alive), look up for building something with grow & full spectrum lights, ventilators, humidificator . (Here, where you need some knowledge to controlling that system for the needs of that specific tree).

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41831

• leming12345
Hey,
Yes, I know they should be outside, but this is the only place where im able to replicate outside conditions. I have had it for 1 day, I have read that people have been able to grow it inside, i mist it every few hours. It gets a lot of sunlight and with the window open it is very windy. What else would you suggest?

Thanks! :)

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41839

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I don't think you can simulate fall and winter conditions where the tree is.(I could be wrong) Maples need 4 seasons. I would like to know where you read that maples can survive indoors, it is not really true.

If you are serious about keeping this tree alive, give it to someone who has a balcony, or a yard, so that it can be outside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae, leming12345

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41842

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hey,
Yes, I know they should be outside, but this is the only place where im able to replicate outside conditions. I have had it for 1 day, I have read that people have been able to grow it inside, i mist it every few hours. It gets a lot of sunlight and with the window open it is very windy. What else would you suggest?

Thanks! :)

I really didn’t think about that when I said you need to replicate outside conditions, but more a climatic chamber. If you cannot build for yourself, from the commercial ones I can recommend the RuMed brand. But... I don’t think you want to spend a price of a nice car for that one tree. I keep up that is easier to change It for an indoor plant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leming12345

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41845

• leming12345
Thanks for the message, it was just comments from people who bought it from the same place, then just a quick google search, not sure how reliable (www.hunker.com/13427632/can-a-japanese-maple-be-kept-inside). Although, I am not sure how long they have had them for. So do you think it will be ok being where it is for the summer, I will see if i can find another place to put it for the fall.

Acer Palmatum Deshojo Tips 5 years 9 months ago #41849

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Maybe I’m a technical geek, but beginner with bonsai, so I’m not your person who could answer this. According what I’ve learned until now, your tree will decaying indoors. If slower or faster, depending on conditions, but if you keep in all summer, it cannot get the energy for overwintering and budding on the next spring.
Just read up a little bit this forum, and you’ll find your answer from really experienced users, whom try to keep different speciess indoors, with and without success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leming12345

• Page: