Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42208

• Meg
  • Meg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! I'm Megan, a newbie here and a freelance writer who has taken a job to write a short book about bonsai gardening. I have written previous books about both gardening and spiritual/meditation topics, and am so excited to tackle this project; and while I'm researching the subject online, I would also love some practical advice from actual bonsai growers. Few people in my area seem to grow them, and I don't want my book to consist of preprinted instructions. If anyone would like to offer your ideal step by step process for growing a bonsai, as well as any special tips or tricks you've learned and what feelings you derive from being a bonsai grower, please feel free to add a reply--and if you own a nursery, run a bonsai blog or site, etc., I could give you a shout out in the book. Thanks!:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42209

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

If anyone would like to offer your ideal step by step process for growing a bonsai

So, you want people to give you all the material you need to write that book? Sure. I'll take 75% of the profit.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42210

• Meg
  • Meg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Well as I said in my post, I am willing to give free promo and full credit to anyone with a nursery, blog or business of their own. And a few tips does not constitute all of my material, which I am researching. I myself share information and tips that I have about writing and editing techniques in exchange for book promo, and because I'm a nice person who loves to share freely with my art.:)

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42212

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

And a few tips does not constitute all of my material, which I am researching. I myself share information and tips that I have about writing and editing techniques in exchange for book promo, and because I'm a nice person who loves to share freely with my art.:)

I share my knowledge on this forum. If you want to write a good book about bonsai, you need to understand the subject. I do not think you do.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42213

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
hi Megan, and welcome.

I agree with the general message reflected by Auk, and it looks like you do too, else you would not be here asking for input. There are a lot of ba books on Bonsai out there, so it would be good to have some good basic books out there. But if you do not know the subject well, then it is a challenge. Please have a lok at your private messages.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42214

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Perhaps a better approach would be a shared authorship. Writing is a real skill and publishing requires knowledge, etc. Fifty fifty split of credit and money would probably be fair.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42216

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
I hate how some companies and “writers” try to make profit out of popular things. Street workout is popular? Lets make some bull*hit book about it without any knowledge and because a lot of people are interested in it, they will buy it. I know nothing about bonsai? No problem, I will put the basics down after a few hours of online research and sell it as a premium bonsai art book. Disgusting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42217

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Megan;
Please stay in the Forum.
Read the articles, watch the video courses, search the threads.
And try to understand that after the thousandth time one reads "why the juniper in my office is dying", or "why the chinese elm I forgot to water for two weeks is getting yellowish brown leaves?", some here are a little fed up with people that don't care for bonsai.
If your interest in bonsai is genuine, feel welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, JackyM, leroycoutts

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Bonsai book 5 years 9 months ago #42238

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I would not dismiss the writing part as being just hacks. It is hard work, and a decent editor makes it hard by forcing the writer to get it all right. Megan is looking for expert knowledge, of which there are three it four here with enough. She might have had a different approach with the first post here, but more discussion is in order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, leroycoutts

• Page: