Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

I need help, algae or mold on the soil?? 5 years 9 months ago #42469

• Rastamanro
  • Rastamanro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey guys,

I got this little guy for my girlfriend's birthday, it shipped yesterday and I noticed that the soil is over-watered. On top of that, it has some green stuff on the soil, at the base of the bonsai, and some white stuff on top. Can I please get some advice? Is the problem just overwatering, and if so what can I do?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I need help, algae or mold on the soil?? 5 years 9 months ago #42473

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Hey, Rasta

I think you don’t need to worry for this. For the shipping, the distributors like to generously watering the plants to prohibit drying out on the case, if it’s stay a little bit longer on the logistics maze. On a humid, dark place, without air circulation can “things” grow. Specially if your plant made a long road from Asia and stayed in quarantine on Europe, not long time ago.
If you put for few days to a well aerated place, and you wait with the watering, till the top third of the soil dries out, it should be fine.

Nice to gift living plants, instead of buckets. :) Tell to her to read up a little bit on this site, and if she’ll be interested on real Bonsai, following other media also. It’s a really interesting “hobby”.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rastamanro

I need help, algae or mold on the soil?? 5 years 9 months ago #42474

• Rastamanro
  • Rastamanro's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thank you so much for the reply!

I thought about it too, I mean about the enclosed space during the shipping being the cause of over watering. But I was just worried about the stuff growing. But if it's not gonna damage it then it's alright. Some leaves had some black spots on them but I cut them off in case the thing was going to spread to the other leaves. She will read a lot about how to take care of it for sure. And TBH I was never a flower guy, cause they just die way too fast. Yes, they may be sweet for the moment, but afterwards it's just meh
Anyways, thanks again for the fast reply :)

• Page: