Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai Education 5 years 8 months ago #42905

• Beckie
  • Beckie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Good afternoon, I am new to bonsai trees and i would greatly appreciate some assistance.

My bonsai is named Toshiro and he is a Japanese pepper tree. The unfortunate news is he is an indoor bonsai tree due to the fact live on a military base (please accept my apologies for this.)

I brought Toshiro on May 13th 2018 and I thought I was doing really well because he was so green and shiny. In between the 13th July 2018 and to the current date something has changed due to his foliage loss. Even though he is losing leaves all over the ones that remain are shiny and healthy looking. I was told to trim him back a bit with how wild he got and place him next to my peace Lilly. I didn't even think about the location when i moved him, My peace Lilly is more of shaded part of my room because she over photosynthesized and her flowers went green in the window. The reason I was told to place them together because they create their own atmosphere ( I didn't quite understand it to be honest, but I got that not all trees and plants are anti social and it would be good to place them together)

factors to possibly affect Toshiro:

1) change in location. from in front of the window to a shadded place next to my peace lilly.
2) Weather outside has been at 30 degrees and not let up, not even rain.
3) A possibility of over watering?

Please help Educate me on how to help Toshiro thrive.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The topic has been locked.

Bonsai Education 5 years 8 months ago #42906

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
From the state of this plant it looks like not enough light could be a problem. It is a poor looking specimen and needs pruning and putting in good light. Watering could also be an issue with it The correct way is to check every day and water when almost dry, that could be every day or less frequent, only you can tell.

Bonsai Education 5 years 8 months ago #42918

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25
the soil doesnt look like a well drained soil and perhaps retaining too much water

Bonsai Education 5 years 8 months ago #42921

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

From the state of this plant it looks like not enough light could be a problem. It is a poor looking specimen and needs pruning and putting in good light. Watering could also be an issue with it The correct way is to check every day and water when almost dry, that could be every day or less frequent, only you can tell.

How would you prune this tree?
  • Page: