Bonsai forum

seed to seedling ... now what

• Labdoc
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

seed to seedling ... now what was created by Labdoc

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42912
Hi all,
this is my first post in this forum, although i have read many many articles/posts.
I am new in the field, and i was excited last year with the idea of raising my own bonsai trees from seeds I find at the nearby forest. So I collected quite a few seeds last fall (including acorns, hazelnuts, pines, Yews and many unidendified). From aaallll these seeds I manage to get just two seedlings, both hazels. Now they both have 5-7 leaves. The problem is that lately (the past month) i think their growth is stalled, and I suspect this is due to the fact that the "nursery" pot has only 6-8 centimeter deep soil. Thus i think the tap root is at the bottom already.
My question is then, should I repot them to a larger pot, say 15cm deep?more?, or just leave them since I anyway next year will prune/cut the tap root.
Thanks!!!

P.S. the plants have germinated and growing outdoors, and they meant to be outdoor bonsai. Region : Central Europe
Last Edit:5 years 9 months ago by Labdoc
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Labdoc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bmrscreamr
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by bmrscreamr on topic seed to seedling ... now what

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42948
Please post pictures of your seedlings. I like seeing what different types of trees look like as seedlings. I'm totally enthralled with the growth of my new seedling (Delonix regia).
by bmrscreamr

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic seed to seedling ... now what

Posted 5 years 9 months ago #42961
You can just plant them in the garden. They will develop a lot faster. Do note, trees do not grow continuously, but have distinct pauze in growth. So it not growing.. Can be just that. The main root will have hit the bottom of the pot probably before you saw the first leaves.
by leatherback

• Labdoc
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Labdoc on topic seed to seedling ... now what

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43017
So it is fine then to let it at this "shallow" pot then. I dont want to stress them (with repotting) before they become 1 year old! Great ! Thanks!
by Labdoc