• Page:

TOPIC:

General Advice wanted - First time owner 5 years 7 months ago #43456

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

Hi,

I didn't mean to be negative, however the tree IS currently alive, and has been for well over a year since I got it. So although I understand your comments, if all I need to do is make sure the tree is alive, then I've pretty much become a pro instantly.

Oh dear

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

General Advice wanted - First time owner 5 years 7 months ago #43457

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

I think for a newbie all the comments here are fairly negative which is a shame. I wanted to try and make some of the higher branches stat growing outwards, but it's fine. I will learn and do this myself because that's the best way. Plus, I'm never going to get through advice anyway.

I didn’t meant to be negative with you, but with the people, who make nice money from those trees for the sake of popularity. Bonsai are really complex, even if it not looks like at the first glance. I assume that watering technique wasn’t your idea, but was someone’s advice, or you read somewhere.
I know, not every beginner is a mental hardball. I know, is disturbing when you ask something and your question looks unanswered.. but is not. Simply you’re not in the stage where you ready for designing, but to learn how to make thrive.
I do it easy.. I listen those, who really know what they do, and not those, who call par example Bonsai those mass produced things and tell you, how easy to care them if you keep in your windowsill and dunking twice a week.
I started Bonsai on late spring. Now, I have more than 10 species and more than 20 trees. I’ve already killed, and already nursed back few from the near death on this short time.
Learning prior about cycles, timing, soil, light and heat needs, fertilizers, watering, pest identification/care, and overal knowledge of the biology and culture of deciduous and conifers.
Wire it if you’d like to do, but it won’t make you progress if your tree is not ready for.

General Advice wanted - First time owner 5 years 7 months ago #43458

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
ok, excellent. So you have kept it alive for a year. Not get it to grow strongly. Once a tree starts sending out shoots of strong growth, it is at a point of vigor that you can start thinking about styling.

Your plant really is just a young recently rooted cutting. So it will need a lot of work on the road to becoming a bonsai. First thing to think about is what you would like it to look like, in terms of size and shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Felidae

General Advice wanted - First time owner 5 years 7 months ago #43485

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

..then I've pretty much become a pro instantly.

Please, don't. People here are trying to help.
It's your tree after all.
If you want to wire it, do it.
If you wish to prune it, do it.
If you would like to defoliate it and repot it, by all means, do it.
If it dies after the lack of your patience, it will be still your tree.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.
  • Page: