Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43662

• Gamingdiva
  • Gamingdiva's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I got this plant and was told it's a ficus and a bonsai. I'm new to this so didn't ask much. But when I was looking online for some care instructions, I felt this is adenium not ficus. Also not sure if this is a bonsai at all. Please let me know if this is indeed a bonsai and also which plant species it is.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43664

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
You win twice.
It is an adenium
It is not a bonsai
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gamingdiva

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43666

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I see some strange yellow creatures on your Adenium?
:-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gamingdiva

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43671

• Gamingdiva
Thank you so much for confirming. Looks like I was duped :( . I have one more question - how do I tell if an adenium is a bonsai? Please let me know.

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43672

• Gamingdiva
:) That's to appease my son. He loves such knick knacks :)

Is this a bonsai plant? Also is this adenium or ficus? 5 years 7 months ago #43676

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Thank you so much for confirming. Looks like I was duped :( . I have one more question - how do I tell if an adenium is a bonsai? Please let me know.

Nah, don't see it like this.

Bonsai is a term used very loosely in commercial circles. In places where people are serious about growing bonsai, and who really invest into understanding the background and fylosophy behind bonsai, everything is a lot stricter. In the end: You bought a plant you liked. Is that not the main idea? Just because the label is a stretch, does not mean you cannot like the tree. And if you decide you would like to start growing bonsai as a hobby (Because that is what it becomes. I for example have 100+ trees in my garden and spend between 10 and 20 hours a week on average caring for and working on these trees), you can still get better suited plants.

If you want to get some understanding of what makes a bonsai a bonsai, have a look here: www.growingbonsai.net/styling-techniques/rating-bonsai/

The main reasons for not calling this a bonsai are in the area of ramification (There is no refinement in the branches), and the styling: The plant has not been styled in a well-organized way creating a canopy of a tree. If you look at the plant, you cannot really see this as a miniature, old tree. On top of this, as this is a non-woody species, it would very quickly drop out of the suitable species range. (I have however i Thailand seen amazing examples which I would consider as close to bonsai as one can come with a species that has a fairly coarse growth habit!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: leroycoutts, Gamingdiva

Last edit: Post by leatherback.
  • Page: