Bonsai forum

Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree

• claireanne
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree was created by claireanne

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43855
I just recently decided to take on bonsai as a hobby, and did a little research into what bonsai trees would be best indoors. My favorite was the Chinese Elm, so I purchased some seeds, and now I’m at a little bit of a loss as of where to start. The biggest questions I have are:
What kind of soil should I use? I know there was a post about this on the main website, but it didn’t really help answer this or the rest of my questions.
Should the separate components of the soil be mixed evenly or put down in layers?
How exactly should I plant the seeds? Is there a spacing to it, or does it not really matter?
What type of pot is best for a bonsai tree?
If I have any more questions I’ll be sure to add to this post :P
by claireanne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43861
Good to see you starting.

Just note: indoor growing of trees is not a very ideal situation. Trees do not like the indoors very much. So.. I would recommend not growing indoors and if the plant has to be indoors, ensure it stays outside in summer.

Seeds are started in late winter, early spring. I am not sure where you live. But if you are on your way to fall right now, wait till spring. That being said.. Elm seeds have a fairly sjhort lifespan.

The much easier route would be to start with a plant, rather than seed. Unless you have a lot of experience growing stuff from seed, this is not the easy smooth route into the hobby, I am afraid.

It is not all that important what type of soil you use for your seeds. Regular seeding soil from a good gandern centre is just fine.
by leatherback

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Chinese Elm Bonsai Tree

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43891

claireanne wrote: Should the separate components of the soil be mixed evenly or put down in layers?

Welcome to the Forum, Claire.
You should mix them evenly. Try small granules like from 2mm to 4mm for seeds and seedlings.
If you feel you are able to do it, many people plant the seeds in a "bed" of pure sand or sand+vermiculite, surrounded by regular bonsai mix.
by Clicio