Bonsai forum

White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

• Dylanidas
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves was created by Dylanidas

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43916
Hello everyone! I'm new to this community and new to Bonsai in general. I was recently in Florida and bought a Fukien Tea tree from a lady who does Bonsai for a living (supposedly going on 30 years) When I got the plant I noticed little black dots on the leaves and my first thought was "fungus" I immediately went out and bought a fungicide (Daconil Ready-to-use 3-way control) and misted the tree after trimming off the leaves that had the black spots (it was only a few).

Fast forward a couple weeks and now I am noticing a white film on some of the leaves of the plant as well as black patches. I don't want to go too trim happy and I don't know if the fungicide I bought is doing anything to help. I've since stopped using the fungicide (which I've only used twice thus far) however I am still watering the plant every other day or so. At one point I had dripped water onto the leaves of the plant so I'm hoping that the film is just a result of either calcium or something in my water or it's from the fungicide. So my question is what should I do? I don't want the little guy to die so I'm trying to nip this in the bud(pun intended) before it gets out of hand. I'd appreciate any help the community could give me :)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by Dylanidas
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Dylanidas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43919
Dylan,
First of all, please when you want to share your pictures, use the attach feature directly on this website; most people here never follow external links.
Well, your Carmona looks healthy, which is good news; and no, this white film doesn't look like calcium deposits from hard water, and doesn't look like some Daconil leftover either.
I'm afraid I can't help you there...
by Clicio

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43920
looks like calcium deposits from hard water.
by leatherback

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43922

leatherback wrote: looks like calcium deposits from hard water.

hahaha, I have just said it doesn't !
The OP will be confused!
Well, my water here is hard, and our calcium deposits leave some white spots, but not a film (at least I have never seen those here).
But...
It depends!
:-)
by Clicio

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43927
Maybe don’t have enough options already, so.. I think is just the fungicide, dried and curled up nicely (I’ve already got similar leftovers). Or some unwanted visitors..
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by Felidae
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Felidae.

• bonsai-dubai
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by bonsai-dubai on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43929
Hi.....this will kill your bonsai quickly.....this is a bug that quickly affects Carmona (Ehretia/Fukien Tea/Fuijan Tea)....Look (quickly) for an insecticide that contains 'Malathion'....it will sort this out in a few days....but don't wait. If the leaves feel sticky and you have small areas of what looks like tiny patches of cotton wool....you need to act quickly. This is our most popular variety, mainly for tiny white flowers and berries......spraying every couple of weeks with soapy water will help....
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by bonsai-dubai
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by bonsai-dubai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylanidas

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Replied by Felidae on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43930

bonsai-dubai wrote: Hi.....this will kill your bonsai quickly.....this is a bug that quickly affects Carmona (Ehretia/Fukien Tea/Fuijan Tea)....Look (quickly) for an insecticide that contains 'Malathion'....it will sort this out in a few days....but don't wait. If the leaves feel sticky and you have small areas of what looks like tiny patches of cotton wool....you need to act quickly. This is our most popular variety, mainly for tiny white flowers and berries......spraying every couple of weeks with soapy water will help....

Wooly aphids the unwanted visitors?
by Felidae

• Dylanidas
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Dylanidas on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43931
You said it's a bug doing this? Can you elaborate as to what species of bug this may be? There is no sticky residue or silk that would tell me its aphids and nowhere else online seemed to show anything similar to what I see on the plant. As for an insecticide would that have any adverse effects on the plant itself? Thanks everyone for your help :)
Last Edit:5 years 8 months ago by Dylanidas
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Dylanidas.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43938

bonsai-dubai wrote: Hi.....this will kill your bonsai quickly.....this is a bug that quickly affects Carmona (Ehretia/Fukien Tea/Fuijan Tea)..

unfortunately, no. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the plant. Whether from the water or from the fungicide, this are just some residues from whatever was drippong or sprayed on it.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylanidas

• Dylanidas
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Dylanidas on topic White film on Fukien Tea tree leaves

Posted 5 years 8 months ago #43946
Phew that makes me feel a lot better haha. I didn't think it was an infestation because I see no silk, no soap and no bugs or eggs. I'll keep a close eye on it and see how it goes. Thanks!
by Dylanidas