Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Tree Issues, Multiple Species: Water or Pest or Disease? 5 years 7 months ago #44568

• Vanboom
  • Vanboom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
I think the St. Louis Summer has gotten the better of me and my trees. I check the soil morning and evening and water only when the top layer is dry (most always in the morning because the nights are so humid/dewy). Some leaves look burnt, but are black tips and spots a sign of too much water? All of these trees were collected as seedlings from my yard (1-3 years old) except for the Pussy Willow which is a cutting from last year. I overwinter them in the garage. Unfortunately my back yard faces West so the trees are getting afternoon sun and it has been hot and humid all Summer.

My Japanese Maple has leaves with grey patches on them. Along side these trees are some Privet cuttings and Maple seedlings that are growing beautifully.

Symptoms:
1. Gradual splotching of the leaves.
2. Little or no growth - branches are getting longer, but few new leaves.
3. Some leaves have dropped so the trees are looking sparse.
4. Soil: pumice + perlite + pine bark, some have turface in place of pumice.

Thanks for any advice. I have only been growing trees for about 4 years, and am hoping to have some bonsai some day.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Vanboom.

Tree Issues, Multiple Species: Water or Pest or Disease? 5 years 7 months ago #44576

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I am not an expert (in no way!), but it looks like some kind of fungal issue to me.

Tree Issues, Multiple Species: Water or Pest or Disease? 5 years 7 months ago #44585

• Vanboom
  • Vanboom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
It has been very humid, especially at night this Summer.

• Page: