Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44734

• Beckmat
  • Beckmat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello Bonsai empire community!

I am new to both the forum and bonsai care and therefore hope I can find some guidance and ensure my bonsai is doing okay. I am 20, currently living in the UK, I was bought a Chinese elm around 2 years ago and although I have taken care not to over water and to fertilize, I pruned for the first time today as I am not overly confident with my knowledge of bonsai care. For months now there has been an additional growth in my Bonsai tree’s pot- I don’t know whether this is another plant or tree and wondered if I should remove this or not? I have also been noticing a damp smell coming from the pot and am seeing white fluffy growths within the soil- I wonder if this is mold and if this is normal, harmful and whether it can be treated? I am also unsure whether or not I should repot my bonsai, I fear that the plant has become to big for the pot?

I have included some pictures and welcome any help or guidance people could provide. Thank you in advance:)

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44735

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
The white stuff is mold... the green stuff could be moss or algea. the other things look like a weed of some kind.. I think your tree is a tiger back fig. It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but it seems healthy.. has it been loosing leaves or anything?

have a look at this: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/ficus it might give you some insight into your plant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beckmat

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44736

• Beckmat
Hi, Thank you for your reply!

Is the mold harmful? And should I get rid of the weed? I feel as though it might drain the tree but it looks so pretty I’m reluctant to remove it:( No it’s not been losing leaves, in fact it’s been growing in abundance, I pruned this morning but I fear I might have removed too much, I’ve included a picture of what I’ve cut today. Otherwise the leaves have remained healthy and green. I’d estimate that I’ve pruned around 1/3 to 1/2 of the foliage so I’m quite concerned that this was overkill.

That’s very interesting, I’ll definitely look into tiger black figs, thank you for the information!:)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44737

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Is the mold harmful? And should I get rid of the weed?

The mold and algae are an indication that you are overwatering.
The soil however looks very compact and looks like it doesn't drain properly - so it holds too much water.
Can't see what the plant is but it does look like weed and I'd remove it.
Your plant is not a Chinese elm, it is a ficus.
Doesn't look like you pruned too much. You just didn't prune it right if you want to make a bonsai out of this.

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44738

• Beckmat
So do you think it would be beneficial to repot the tree with soil that is less compact and maybe with more drainage?

Ive just looked at pictures and I definitely agree- it does look like a fiscus, Thank you for pointing this out as hopefully now I can care for it better.

Thankyou again for the information

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44739

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
It's an overwet Ficus, and the green stuff is a weed that should not be there, it spreads very quickly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beckmat

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44740

• Beckmat
Thank- you for the reply!

What would be best to do to rectify this? (The overwetness- as in should I just slow up watering or take more drastic action like a repotting or letting the soil dry out)

Last edit: Post by Beckmat.

Growths in bonsai pot 5 years 7 months ago #44744

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230
only water it when the soil becomes dry to the touch, and i would wait for re-potting till spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Beckmat

• Page: