Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai timeline 5 years 7 months ago #44771

• rareclairebear
  • rareclairebear's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello! I have made an approximate calendar for bonsai care. Am I missing anything? The photo is attached.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai timeline 5 years 7 months ago #44782

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
A calendar like this should vary depending on tree type and on local climate, but it is a good idea for planning.

On the subject of calendars, around here August is inhumanely hot, usually pretty dry, and even if it rains the ground dries up pretty fast. I water the bonsais every day, sometimes twice, and they still dry out. The trees in the ground start to lose their leaves and some change color during what we call summer dormancy and then mid September pick up and look fine. Quite a few of my trees did the same, and now I have a lot of new leaves popping out on the deciduous trees. One elm has yellow leaves and new growth at the same spot.

Would you fertilize? Real winter will get here in two months, so they have some time to harden.

Inhumanely hot means day time 90-100F, 35-38C and night time 85-90, 32-35C. That lasted second week of August to last week. Now it is much cooler at night but days just as hot. Yesterday the thermometer in the car said 102 at 3:00 but only 74 an hour after dark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: