Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

First winter with bonsai. Michigan 5 years 6 months ago #44852

• West sai
  • West sai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm wrapping up my first bonsai season, you guys REALLY helped me out by correcting a lot of the misinformation I accumulated from youtube videos and google research. You guys helped me survive the summer, now I need to survive the winter! I've seen a lot of different techniques, I pulled a little from everything I've read and came up with a concept that should work for my situation...Maybe? But I won't do anything without running it by you guys first.

I've seen articles that say to dig a hole in the ground and cover the tree pots with mulch, the problem is I have about 13 trees now :blink: (I may have gone a lil crazy...good news is they're all healthy and doing well!) that would be a big hole in my backyard.

I've also seen info on storing them in the garage... So this had me thinking... Can I put the trees on the shelf (pic included) in a tupperware tub, and fill it with mulch? Maybe collect some snow and cover them with that?? And I guess put drain holes in the bottom of the tubs incase the snow melts. Would this work? Or should I start hiring a digging crew?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First winter with bonsai. Michigan 5 years 6 months ago #44855

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
Maybe the best thing is to find someone in your area who has keep trees a long time and see what they do. In a similar climate to yours in Rochester, NY, a guy I know puts them in a garage with a heater to keep it about 10 or so below freezing.

If the trees are from a cold climate they absolutely have to have a long winter dormant period with temperature below freezing. Putting the pots in the ground gives them a huge heat sink that keeps temperature in the pot more uniform but does little to protect from hard winds which can be a killer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: West sai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: