Bonsai forum

Help! Why is my japanese maple leaf bonsai leaves turning black?

• Opitimusprm
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help! Why is my japanese maple leaf bonsai leaves turning black? was created by Opitimusprm

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #44923
I just got my Japanese maple leaf bonsai about 4 weeks ago. I repotted it and wired it 2 weeks ago, and added well draining soil, which has akadama mixed with regular potting soil. The leaves are turning black on the edges, and some tips are sunburned, but I can’t figure out why it is turning black. I water it about everyday. At most every 2 days. The tree is placed in a shaded area, with indirect sunlight. Please help. Thank you!
Last Edit:5 years 6 months ago by Opitimusprm

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Opitimusprm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Help! Why is my japanese maple leaf bonsai leaves turning black?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #44935
Hi, welcome to the empire.

Congrats on getting your hands dirty and diving in. Some people take years to finally start wiring and repotting, afraid that they kille their plant.

In this case you have done a lot at the same time. By all the handling you hvae done (Wiring & repotting) you have given the plant lots of stress. Normally you would try and avoind doing all this at the same time. And if you do them at the same time, most people would do this at the start of the growing season, just as the leaves are popping from the buds. At that time, the tree has a much lower water need, as there are no leaves to keep happy and healthy.

I think you are now doing al you can. Be conservative with water. The micture you have made can hold a lot of water. Maples have fairly weak roots and easily get infected with fungus. So keep it on the drier side, but never fully dry.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Opitimusprm

• Opitimusprm
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Opitimusprm on topic Help! Why is my japanese maple leaf bonsai leaves turning black?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #44943
Thank you so much!

I guess I will water it not as much.

I am also wondering what I should do about sunlight. I am afraid it recieves too little light. It is the beginning of fall, and it is in indirect sunlight for the whole day.

Is this enough?

Thank you!
by Opitimusprm

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

Replied by crent89 on topic Help! Why is my japanese maple leaf bonsai leaves turning black?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45143

Opitimusprm wrote:
I am also wondering what I should do about sunlight. I am afraid it recieves too little light. It is the beginning of fall, and it is in indirect sunlight for the whole day.

i keep my maple in a place where it receives only morning sun, and is in the shade during hot mid day sun to protect it from leaf scorch (outside of course). where im at it can get up to 105*f+ so i have to really protect it from the sun.
by crent89
The following user(s) said Thank You: Opitimusprm