Bonsai forum

Help with beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire (Ficus)

• cweidner96
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Help with beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire (Ficus) was created by cweidner96

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #44993
Hello, I just received my shipment today of the beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire. I'm super excited but have some questions because the online course they provide is a little vague in some aspects.

My main question is this:

The video lessons said to do major pruning during growing season (spring/summer right?). I live in Utah, where the winters are quite harsh. My kit says to get started with pruning, wiring, and repotting my ficus, but is this a bad idea to do mid-October? Winter is on the way. Should I just keep watering it and hold off on pruning until Spring, or will it not really hurt it to prune and wire now?

Thanks for the help!
by cweidner96

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cdough562 !?
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Cdough562 !? on topic Help with beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire (Ficus)

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #44997
I would do light pruning, wait another month or so to wire, that way the wir is coming off before spring growth begins. But i may not be the best person on ficus. Maybe look up a couple vids on when to work on it. If you want to prune wire and all that sooner than later, maybe go buy a cheap garden center juniper, as they are a hardy tree that could withstand more? Like i said though, a more experienced person on here might have better advice. Good Luck on your new journey. Soak up all you can from the people here, they are very knowledgeable.
by Cdough562 !?

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Help with beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire (Ficus)

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45003
Ficus grows yearround, and in flushes typically.

I normally do my wiring in spring/late winter. And in summer. And in fall. In fact, I do it when the tree needs it.

That being said.. Your plant has just had a long trip and a change of climate. I would focus on keeping it healthy for the next 3-6 months, and not work the tree.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Cdough562 !?, cweidner96

• Oscar
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thanks received: 291

Replied by Oscar on topic Help with beginner bonsai kit from Bonsai Empire (Ficus)

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45005
In winter, light intensity drops and your tree's growth will slow done a bit.

You can do some light pruning now, but I wouldn't do too much at this point. Since the pot we send you is not too small, you can place the tree in its bonsai pot now (without touching the roots too much though).

Feel free to email us at info@bonsaiempire.com for more help!
by Oscar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Cdough562 !?, cweidner96