Bonsai forum

Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

• flyingfishfinger
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests? was created by flyingfishfinger

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45196
Hi folks-
I recently got my first bonsai as a gift from my gf, a ginseng ficus. After I first got it & repositioned it about a month ago, about 25% of the leaves turned yellow and fell off which I understand to be somewhat normal after relocating a tree.

However, it's still continuing to lose leaves and I'm wondering if I have some sort of pest or bug. I water it about every 2 days and try to mist it every day, if that helps. I live in an area of the city with not much sun, but I've set the tree quite near a large south-facing window.

I've attached some photos of the condition of the leaves in general as well as what some fallen ones look like, and what I think might be bugs and / or fungus, but I could be totally wrong here.

Please note (1) the small white "stalks" on the bottom side of many of the leaves and (2) what looks like a fat black bug / thing.

I would love it if anyone could provide some pointers and / or care instructions; this is a brand new hobby to me and I would rather not have my first tree die on me...

Thanks,

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Rafael
Last Edit:5 years 6 months ago by flyingfishfinger

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by flyingfishfinger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

Posted 5 years 6 months ago #45200
You have an infection of spider mites on your hands.
Get a spray that specifically mentions those, as these are not killed by an insecticide (As they are spiders and not insects)
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingfishfinger

• flyingfishfinger
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by flyingfishfinger on topic Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45361
Hi,
Thanks for the info, I'll get that. Do you have a good suggestion of any particular product?

I only saw this just now (for some reason didn't get an email regarding the reply).

The tree is now down to about 50% of its leaves; is it salvageable at this point?

Thanks,
Rafael
Last Edit:5 years 5 months ago by flyingfishfinger
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by flyingfishfinger.

• Blackwood
  • Thanks received: 5

Replied by Blackwood on topic Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45383
I live in tropical region, ficus is somewhat strong plant. I did repotting my ficus and immediately adding fertilizer and it grows stronger, fyi this method actually killing the roots. I did this before I learn the do's and don'ts. XD

Not sure in your region.
by Blackwood

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by leatherback on topic Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45387

flyingfishfinger wrote: The tree is now down to about 50% of its leaves; is it salvageable at this point?

Of course. But you need to treat it for the infection and then provide the right circumstances such as warm location, plenty of light, humid air.
I use a product like Neudorff Schild- und Wolllausfrei.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingfishfinger

• flyingfishfinger
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by flyingfishfinger on topic Ginseng ficus w/ falling yellow leaves - fungus / pests?

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45459
Interesting, are Wolllaeuse actually the same as spider mites / related? I had Wolllaeuse on a cactus when I lived in Germany (probably too cold and dark).

I just acquired some Doktor Doom Spider Mite Knockout, let's see how that goes...

Vielen Dank :)
by flyingfishfinger

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45462
Nah, they are VERY different beasts. I would say wolleuse are closer to dragonflies than spidermites, considering the first two are insects, and the mites are.. spides.
by leatherback